cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fprasuhn
Community Participant

What suggestions are there for a catalog/library system?

Jump to solution

Greetings all:

I teach an educational technology type course. Part of the information flow includes applications and tools that learners use in their work. I want to create and maintain a growing listing of those URLs, synopses, and recommendations to each class I facilitate. Thus, I need a type of library cataloging system, I guess....??? At the moment I have over 20 items to list. Each term I am confident that I will add more. I am promoting this tool in the courses since it is something learners can promote with others in the field.

The information I include:

Title

Image/Logo

URL

Summary

Category (most likely this will include more than 1 per application)

Who provided the information and the term.

Perhaps a checkbox system for free, educational pricing, fee?

User capabilities:

Search/filtering by field/data type.

What suggestions do you have?

Thanks!

fred

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

What a great project,  @fprasuhn ‌! There are lots of possibilities for a project like this, and if you are going to be putting an application in more than one category, then the two options which I would consider would be:

Bookmarking (like Diigo etc.): because you can use multiple tags

OR

Blog (like Blogger or WordPress etc.): because you can use multiple labels (tags, categories, etc.)

If you want students to be able to search on multiple identifiers at once (i.e. "Image Editing" AND "Free", or something like that), then Diigo is the best choice. Blogs are great for filtering on one dimension, but searching on multiple dimensions demands a real bookmarking tool like Diigo.

I've written up some posts about my own projects using Diigo and using Blogger that might be helpful:

Diigo 

My Favorite Features about Diigo and Canvas 

Blogger 

Blog Labels: When you want students to explore... 

https://community.canvaslms.com/people/laurakgibbs/blog/2017/05/30/the-power-of-tags-and-labels-for-... 

Blog Labels + Inoreader + Redirect Tool = Canvas Magic! 

This sounds like a great project, and I hope you will keep us posted here on how it evolves! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

What a great project,  @fprasuhn ‌! There are lots of possibilities for a project like this, and if you are going to be putting an application in more than one category, then the two options which I would consider would be:

Bookmarking (like Diigo etc.): because you can use multiple tags

OR

Blog (like Blogger or WordPress etc.): because you can use multiple labels (tags, categories, etc.)

If you want students to be able to search on multiple identifiers at once (i.e. "Image Editing" AND "Free", or something like that), then Diigo is the best choice. Blogs are great for filtering on one dimension, but searching on multiple dimensions demands a real bookmarking tool like Diigo.

I've written up some posts about my own projects using Diigo and using Blogger that might be helpful:

Diigo 

My Favorite Features about Diigo and Canvas 

Blogger 

Blog Labels: When you want students to explore... 

https://community.canvaslms.com/people/laurakgibbs/blog/2017/05/30/the-power-of-tags-and-labels-for-... 

Blog Labels + Inoreader + Redirect Tool = Canvas Magic! 

This sounds like a great project, and I hope you will keep us posted here on how it evolves! 🙂

View solution in original post

fprasuhn
Community Participant

Thank you, Laura, for the great ideas. I was thinking "inside the Canvas box" and not considering what I could do and link back to the course. I have my own website. This information would be good to have on that site as well as in the course.

Thanks, again!

Fred Prasuhn, Ph.D.

Trying to do this kind of content development with Canvas Pages/Files would probably be pretty frustrating (there are no meta tools for tagging or labeling at all inside Canvas, not even a simple search — although search is coming!) ... but since Canvas plays so nicely with external content (embedding, RSS, Redirect Tool, etc.), you can find the best content solution and then plug it into your Canvas course, no problem! 🙂

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fprasuhn ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie