cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkrodinger
Community Member

When is Scientific Notation Support Planned to be Added to Canvas Quizzes?

Jump to solution

I have found a topic from 2017 with a reply from 2018 stating that support for scientific notation is a planned feature, but I have been unable to find when its implementation is planned to be. Is it being saved for quizzes.next (which I understand is the next major update to Canvas's quiz feature or a new version thereof) or is has its implementation been indefinitely delayed?

I would very much appreciate know when or if this feature is going to be implemented so that I may plan my lessons and homework structure for next year accordingly. My Chemistry and Physical Science classes make regular use of scientific notation in their homework and on quizzes and tests, and a proper method of entering answers in scientific notation would greatly decrease the time required for feedback. 

Thank you for your time,

Brett P. Krodinger

High School Chemistry, Anatomy, and Physical Science Teacher

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @bkrodinger  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Scientific notation is a priority for Quizzes.Next, and you'll see it listed at the bottom of the priorities accordion here: Product Priorities . It's in the Develop & Test phase, so please follow Priority: Quizzes.Next Product Priorities to receive notifications of updates as they come about.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @bkrodinger  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Scientific notation is a priority for Quizzes.Next, and you'll see it listed at the bottom of the priorities accordion here: Product Priorities . It's in the Develop & Test phase, so please follow Priority: Quizzes.Next Product Priorities to receive notifications of updates as they come about.

View solution in original post

chemlectures
Community Participant

Hi Brett Krodinger — accepting quiz answers in scientific notation‌ was developed and deployed into Canvas in 2015.  I have used it successfully in my formula questions for regular Canvas quizzes (like the formula question‌ below).

322655_sci-resp.png

A post from Ashley Bermudez suggested that this functionality initially only supported positive exponents

Quizzes.Next (also known as New Quizzes) is a separate tool in Canvas that is intended to eventually replace the quiz tool.   As Stefanie Sanders said, Quizzes.Next has a priority of supporting scientific notation in the future.  Quizzes.Next is attractive but it will be hard to use Quizzes.Next for chemistry and physics until this and other features are deployed.  My intention has been to continue to use regular Canvas quizzes until Quizzes.Next catches up to the feature set in regular Canvas quizzes.  

My regular quizzes (not using Quizzes.Next) now give errors when receiving the same input they have accepted in the past.  I assume something is different in my settings, my courses, or in Canvas.  I don't know what has changed.

322656_sci-error.png

If folks have experienced this change please share your experiences.  I am seeking a way to get this valuable functionality back for my regular Canvas quizzes.

Hi Nick, we've experienced this same change just recently in our physics courses, shorthand scientific notation is no longer being accepted by numerical answer quiz questions. This is very impractical as we've advised students that they are able to answer using scientific shorthand. Canvas, please restore this functionality to regular Canvas quizzes.

karen_goodwin
Community Member

CANVAS please add back in the option for scientific notation in numerical quizzes!

Instructure explained to me a month ago that this bug in the verification filter on quiz answers has been fixed, they were only waiting for approval/coordination to push it to the live servers. No idea why that is taking so long.

This bug, introduced right before the new school year started, is a huge issue for those of us teaching physical science.  Instructure — please increase the priority in pushing out this fix.

rwentz
Community Participant

I am in the same boat.  I am extremely frustrated-- I've written hundreds of questions in dozens of question banks and they all WORKED last year, and now suddenly they do not work, due to this bug.

Right now I am facing the possibility that:

1) I will have to spend hours changing questions which used be perfectly functional. 

2) The changes will actually make the questions less realistic and not as helpful in preparing my students. 

3) I'm going to be editing questions all weekend in order to start next week with usable homework.  This isn't something that I can just wait on, until the bug-fix goes through.  The assignments I need to use *now* are suddenly full of questions that cannot be answered correctly.

rwentz
Community Participant

I agree 100%. I am appalled to think of how many hours of my life I will have to spend modifying (previously functional) question banks if this issue is not fixed. 

(Starting with today's homework.  Which I hadn't planned to modify this year.  Because it worked great last year.)

chemlectures
Community Participant

This question is marked as answered.  I don’t think it has been answered.

@demellon ‌, the answer that is marked as correct directs users to follow the New Quizzes User Group‌, as that is where updates will be posted. https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/community/blog/2019/10/08/how-we-keep-your-questions-flowing explains the Correct Answer designation, and more.