cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
briano
Community Member

When moving students to a new section how can I migrate grades if sections have different assignments?

Jump to solution

We need to move students between sections at change of semester (in courses with quarter year grading periods)

I've tried this manually in the  'People/ Edit Sections'. When a student is added to a new section assignments from the original section remain visible, but when the student is removed from the original section, section specific assignment  are no longer visible. Will the same issue recurr with SIS upload?

Does anyone have a script to deal with this issue?

grades export‌, course section

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bradspencer
Community Participant

We have the same issue at our school with certain courses that having different assignments/quizzes per section is desired, but then if the student moves sections those marks disappear - obviously assignments assigned to all sections remain intact. One example is our Spanish course having different timed quizzes for each section so they can just be assigned just to the appropriate section. Is there a better way to do this?

I completely understand how this is by design and why it doesn't transfer when moving sections, but are those marks still in the database somewhere? We'd like to be able to view them after the student has been moved so we can manually enter the marks in the new section.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

bradspencer, I think the grades go with the student and course, not the section. 

The way we have things set-up at our is that school students who haven't completed our mandatory online orientation are added to their courses, but to a "Not completed orientation" section in their course that prevents them from actually accessing the course. This way the Instructor can grade and take attendance even though the student doesn't have access to the course. As soon as the the student completes the orientation they are automatically removed from the "Not completed orientation" section and put in the correct section of their course (so same course, but there are two different sections). All of the grades, feedback, and attendance for this student are still there in the course - they don't go away because the section was changed.

So, how you can access this information is to re-add the student to the original course. We often do this in the Canvas Beta or Test environment so that way it doesn't mess up the actual course.

Hope this helps!

11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

briano, I’m not exactly sure I understand what you are wanting to do, but there really isn’t a way to move grades in Canvas. They are pretty much stuck with their assignment and the section/course they originated in. The only way I can think to do this is to download the gradebook as a CSV file and then upload it to the new course.

I’m going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=871390e3-fac9-441c-9b36-6b405615b03... and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=1db5c087-f172-4021-8ae4-... groups in the Community to see if they can help with a higher level solution.  What also might help is if you provide more information about what you are wanting to accomplish and why. This might provide insight into other options or things that could work. 

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi briano,

I have been having a ponder on this and I believe what you are seeing is by design. Can I assume you are setting up section specific assignments using the following dropdown when you create the assignment?

Assign To Assignment Dropdown

If you create an assignment in such a way and assign it to a specific section, there will be no way to move marks over, as the assignment only exists in one section. For example if I created an assignment and assigned it to section 'Test 1', if a student was moved to the 'Test 2' section, the assignment would not exist and hence the system is functioning as designed by not moving the marks over.

Regardless of whether you do this via the API or the front-end, you will experience similar results.

Can I please ask a little more on the methodology of why you have different sections based on grading periods? I have not seen it used in this way before, so am curious to hear more about your use case. There may be some recommendations we could provide there to help optimise the use of the LMS to work around this problem in another way.

Hope that helps and I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Stuart

bradspencer
Community Participant

We have the same issue at our school with certain courses that having different assignments/quizzes per section is desired, but then if the student moves sections those marks disappear - obviously assignments assigned to all sections remain intact. One example is our Spanish course having different timed quizzes for each section so they can just be assigned just to the appropriate section. Is there a better way to do this?

I completely understand how this is by design and why it doesn't transfer when moving sections, but are those marks still in the database somewhere? We'd like to be able to view them after the student has been moved so we can manually enter the marks in the new section.

Thanks.

bradspencer, I think the grades go with the student and course, not the section. 

The way we have things set-up at our is that school students who haven't completed our mandatory online orientation are added to their courses, but to a "Not completed orientation" section in their course that prevents them from actually accessing the course. This way the Instructor can grade and take attendance even though the student doesn't have access to the course. As soon as the the student completes the orientation they are automatically removed from the "Not completed orientation" section and put in the correct section of their course (so same course, but there are two different sections). All of the grades, feedback, and attendance for this student are still there in the course - they don't go away because the section was changed.

So, how you can access this information is to re-add the student to the original course. We often do this in the Canvas Beta or Test environment so that way it doesn't mess up the actual course.

Hope this helps!

bradspencer
Community Participant

If the assignment/quiz was assigned to a specific section of the course, the grades, for that section only, disappear (the student remains in the original course and grades assigned to all sections stay visible). I can test to see if enrolling the student in the original section will bring back the grades, but that is an inconvenient workaround. I'd much prefer if we can view them without doing that. I'll try accessing them from the API and see if they can be found there. Smiley Wink

This is an interesting scenario, please let us know what you find out in your testing!

bradspencer
Community Participant

Here's what I found out: If I use the API to query the specific assignments/quizzes that have the missing scores, the scores for the student who moved sections...drum roll...ARE STILL LISTED in the response! Yea!!

Now I'm wondering if we "inactivate" student enrollments instead of "delete" when switching their section, the "Show Inactive Enrollments" in the grade book might also take care of this issue. May have to give that a try!

Hi bradspencer,

That is awesome thank you for letting us know (and that is super handy for some things we are looking to do in the near future).

One thing I would mention as a bit of a gotcha, is that if you do move a student (or indeed remove them from a course), while the marks still exist (and as you have demonstrated, are accessible from the API), if you try to see these in Canvas Data, you will find they are missing.

From what I understand, this is by design, however, I thought I would let you know, *just* in case you go down the Canvas Data path at a later stage, and find you are unable to see the grades.

Hope that helps!

Stuart

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

briano,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie