cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbeimfohr
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

When you create a matching quiz question, is it all or nothing to receive the points?

I have a teacher who created a matching quiz question with 7 matching items.  She made it worth 7 points.  Once the quiz was taken she noticed that the students either received full or no credit regardless of how many terms were matched correctly.  Is there a way to give partial credit based on how many terms that were correctly matched?  If not, what are others doing for this type of quiz question?

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

kbeimfohr, are you using regular quizzes? If so, then according to this guide - How do I create a Matching quiz question? - “Partial credit will be assigned if some of the blanks are completed correctly.” (Very last sentence on the guide) If this isn’t what you are experiencing then I’d submit a ticket to Canvas Support. 

Hope this helps! Kona

kbeimfohr
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

@kona ‌ this is in reference to Quizzes.next.  I was told by others that the new matching questions do not allow for partial credit.  I hope they get that changed.  Seems like a step backwards.  Thanks for your input though.

sara_samples1
Community Participant

As far as I can tell, you have to manually adjust after the fact - and after the students freak out when they see their scores.  I'm not going to be using the new quizbuilder anymore until they address this issue. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

kbeimfohr,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Does anyone know if the problem of all or none for matching questions will be fixed in the new quiz format? It is a huge bummer for me, and other features of the new format are desirable, but this problem is a deal-breaker! So I’m rebuilding quizzes in the classic format for now...