cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barnettda
Community Contributor

Where Can I Put Images In One Course That Another Section Can Link To?

Jump to solution

Hi, all,

I teach two separate sections of a philosophy course, and I want to copy the HTML for the announcements I create for the first section and use it in the second section as the semester progresses. But sometimes the images used in the first announcement don't seem to come through on the second; students get an "image not found" error.

Rather than routinely uploading the same image into the second section, is there a place in the first section's Files area I can put it so I can copy the HTML and use it (including the image) in the second section?

I tried to find the answer by searching the Q&A, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking time to help me!

Cheerily,

Dan

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @barnettda ...

You will need to include the images in both courses.  This is by design.  Think of it this way...students only have access to the files and content for the course(s) they are registered for.  They cannot access files and course content for courses they are not taking.  Since you have two separate course sections, it makes sense that students would see an error message of some kind if they tried to access content links that were pointing to another course.

The only work-around I can think of would be if you had some kind of external library of files/images that existed outside of Canvas that you were able to link to, but that seems like a bit more work on your end.  I would recommend that you use the tools that are available in Canvas to store your documents/images in the "Files" area of your courses.

I hope this helps, Daniel.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @barnettda ...

You will need to include the images in both courses.  This is by design.  Think of it this way...students only have access to the files and content for the course(s) they are registered for.  They cannot access files and course content for courses they are not taking.  Since you have two separate course sections, it makes sense that students would see an error message of some kind if they tried to access content links that were pointing to another course.

The only work-around I can think of would be if you had some kind of external library of files/images that existed outside of Canvas that you were able to link to, but that seems like a bit more work on your end.  I would recommend that you use the tools that are available in Canvas to store your documents/images in the "Files" area of your courses.

I hope this helps, Daniel.

View solution in original post

barnettda
Community Contributor

Hi, Chris,

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it!

Cheerily,

Dan