cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david_gledhill_
Community Member

Where do I find the Canvas Rubrics "rules"?

Where can I find the canvas rules for setting up a rubrics table?  The basic "intro to rubrics" doesn't really cover the details I need to know.  For example, My rubrics table has five rows by 9 columns.  As I input the point values/descriptions, I get to the last column and canvas won't let me fill in the column because I've used to many characters across the row so what is the maximum characters across the row?

Also, is there a way to set each column a specific width? 

Thanks!

3 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @david_gledhill_  and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

Here are some great guides:

What are Rubrics?

How do I create a rubric in a course? 

How do I manage rubrics in a course? 

How do I edit a rubric in a course?

How do I add a rubric to an assignment? 

Is there a way to set each column a specific width? 

Unfortunately, no. I've seen a few Feature Ideas with this in the past, but there weren't many votes. If this is something you feel passionately about, please consider submitting an Idea to Canvas Studio (How do I create a new feature idea?‌)

Hi  @david_gledhill_ ...

@klundstrum  has given you some great help here providing you with links to several Guides about Canvas rubrics.  I wanted to also give you a link to a "Canvancement" that  @James ‌ developed called Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.  As the title indicates, he has developed a way you can design a rubric first in Excel and then bring it into Canvas so that you don't have to build criterion row-by-row.  I use it all the time when I am building courses for our faculty, and it is a huge time saver for me!  You might want to give it a try.  Smiley Happy

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @david_gledhill_ ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you at all since you first posted this question on February 13, 2018.   @klundstrum  and I provided some feedback for you later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review our feedback?  Did either of our replies help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members?  If you feel that one of our above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from the Community, please let us know that as well so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in almost four months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about the same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, David.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.