cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fprasuhn
Community Participant

Where is practical instructor guidance for eportfolios (other than where to click information)?

Jump to solution

I am searching for information, as an instructor, on guiding students using Canvas eportfolios. I spent the afternoon reviewing guides, finding and watching videos, and wondering if I would ever complete my investigative trek.

What I still lack:

1. I believe that creating a template and making available to students is not possible. This has been requested as a feature. SO, I created a folio with sections and information wanted for each section along with details, questions to consider, etc.  I know I can share my efolio using my share link. Is there a way for students to copy my portfolio and use their copy as the basis for their work?
  2. I have not found, yet, guidance or demonstration for instructors to review portfolios. I know students can copy and send me their portfolio link through an assignment prompt. I do plan to use a rubric, which will be attached to the assignment. It is just nice to know what to expect instead of waiting until it happens.
  3. What other practical and experiential guidance is there that I not exemplified in where to click tutorials?

Thanks!

fred

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fprasuhn  Welcome to the Canvas Community! 

You have likely already found most of what you are seeking.  To be brutally frank, ePortfolios has not been given much love over the past few years, and I imagine that the Feature Idea that you referenced (this one) is one where I commented as much.  To be fair to Instructure, this IS an LMS platform first and foremost; having an ePortfolio along for the ride (when other competitors charge extra for it) is, I guess, a nice added bonus. 

So--NO, students cannot copy your ePortfolio, other than by your telling them how to set one up or through their own observations based on your shared link.  As for your second question, we have some instructors use the ePortfolios as part of an assignment, but they will pretty much create it just like any other assignment where a website URL is required.  That seems to work just fine, since once the students learn how to make the link public they just copy/paste it into the assignment submission.

But assuming you have found both the Student Guide for ePortfolios as well as the Instructor's Guide for ePortfolios as well as the student overview video, it sounds like you have all the information available.

You may also want to think of sharing this with the appropriate Community Group you are most interested in (I could not tell from your profile at first glance), be it the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12‌ group or the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=c038b4a4-07da-47f9-a2d0-c335ed26...‌ group.  I'm sure others can share some of their experiences, as well.

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fprasuhn  Welcome to the Canvas Community! 

You have likely already found most of what you are seeking.  To be brutally frank, ePortfolios has not been given much love over the past few years, and I imagine that the Feature Idea that you referenced (this one) is one where I commented as much.  To be fair to Instructure, this IS an LMS platform first and foremost; having an ePortfolio along for the ride (when other competitors charge extra for it) is, I guess, a nice added bonus. 

So--NO, students cannot copy your ePortfolio, other than by your telling them how to set one up or through their own observations based on your shared link.  As for your second question, we have some instructors use the ePortfolios as part of an assignment, but they will pretty much create it just like any other assignment where a website URL is required.  That seems to work just fine, since once the students learn how to make the link public they just copy/paste it into the assignment submission.

But assuming you have found both the Student Guide for ePortfolios as well as the Instructor's Guide for ePortfolios as well as the student overview video, it sounds like you have all the information available.

You may also want to think of sharing this with the appropriate Community Group you are most interested in (I could not tell from your profile at first glance), be it the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12‌ group or the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=c038b4a4-07da-47f9-a2d0-c335ed26...‌ group.  I'm sure others can share some of their experiences, as well.

Hope this helps a bit!

View solution in original post

fprasuhn
Community Participant

Thank you, Ken. I guessed that I would hear the response I did from you. I agree  Canvas is providing a portfolio as part of its package. MANY THANKS for this! It is hard to chunk large projects in a way to help the continuity I hope students see and gain from as they work through the project.

I do, though, with your answer, know how to plan and move forward in my course. Thank you, again!

fred

kblack
Community Champion

Happy to help, Frederick!  Good luck with things!

sharflight1
Community Member

The video is not working and no information about the ePortfolio is not available. 

@sharflight1 ‌, I'm not able to replicate this. Clicking on the video link brings me to  and clicking on the link to ePortfolios directs to the appropriate chapter in the Student Guide for ePortfolios. When you click on these links, what are you seeing?