cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elka_kristonagy
Community Member

Where is the setting in Canvas that sends a notification email to my students that I've uploaded a file?

Jump to solution

Where is the setting in Canvas that sends a notification email to my students that I've uploaded a file?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @elka_kristonagy , and welcome to the Canvas Community! That's not exactly how notifications work. Notifications are customizable at the user level, so what, when, and how students receive notifications on items is a function of how they have set their notification preferences. You can read more about that here: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?

If you have uploaded a new file to the Files area of a published course--and if students have their notification for that item set accordingly--they will receive a notification that you have uploaded a new file. But they can choose to turn it off. So the notification is not something you can send; it is user-customizable.

In addition, the course cards on the Dashboard have tabs--up to four--that provide a visual display to students that new action items have been added to a course. Although this is not the same as an automatic notification, as long as they have actually logged into Canvas and are looking at their Dashboard, they will see that indicator for the new file. For that, please refer to How do I use the Dashboard?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @elka_kristonagy , and welcome to the Canvas Community! That's not exactly how notifications work. Notifications are customizable at the user level, so what, when, and how students receive notifications on items is a function of how they have set their notification preferences. You can read more about that here: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?

If you have uploaded a new file to the Files area of a published course--and if students have their notification for that item set accordingly--they will receive a notification that you have uploaded a new file. But they can choose to turn it off. So the notification is not something you can send; it is user-customizable.

In addition, the course cards on the Dashboard have tabs--up to four--that provide a visual display to students that new action items have been added to a course. Although this is not the same as an automatic notification, as long as they have actually logged into Canvas and are looking at their Dashboard, they will see that indicator for the new file. For that, please refer to How do I use the Dashboard?

View solution in original post