cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mparzen
Community Member

Which class is which in email??

Jump to solution

How do I know which class I am sending email to?????

I teach medium size classes (300 to 500 students) and my class name is always the same Basket Weaving 101 (say)

When I go into the email system, all my previous semester basket weaving classes are listed, each with the same name. I can't tell which is the current one (its not always the first one listed). Canvas support says to look at the class list and recognize which class is which that way. That works because we change out TAs occasionally, but it also means scrolling through 20 TAs to make sure this is this the current teaching staff. Is there a better way or can Canvas put more info in the class name so we know which semester the class is in?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mparzen ​, this isn't a Canvas problem as much as a how your Institution concludes older courses problem and/or a what you have on your dashboard problem.

What courses show up when you initially go to send a message are controlled by the courses that are on your dashboard. If the course is on your dashboard then it shows up initially when you go to send a message. If you hide/remove the course from your dashboard it will stop showing up when you go to send a message (you can always get it back by viewing all your courses when you go to send an email or by adding the course back to your dashboard). So, my first recommendation is to check your dashboard and clean it up so only this semester courses are showing up - How do I use the Dashboard? & How do I customize my Courses list?

In addition, the way our Institution runs Canvas is that previous semester courses are concluded so they don't show up initially when I go to select a course. [I can still access my older courses by looking at my "concluded" courses, but when I click to see my concluded courses they also include the semester.] That way when I click to send a message I'm only seeing my current semester courses.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mparzen ​, this isn't a Canvas problem as much as a how your Institution concludes older courses problem and/or a what you have on your dashboard problem.

What courses show up when you initially go to send a message are controlled by the courses that are on your dashboard. If the course is on your dashboard then it shows up initially when you go to send a message. If you hide/remove the course from your dashboard it will stop showing up when you go to send a message (you can always get it back by viewing all your courses when you go to send an email or by adding the course back to your dashboard). So, my first recommendation is to check your dashboard and clean it up so only this semester courses are showing up - How do I use the Dashboard? & How do I customize my Courses list?

In addition, the way our Institution runs Canvas is that previous semester courses are concluded so they don't show up initially when I go to select a course. [I can still access my older courses by looking at my "concluded" courses, but when I click to see my concluded courses they also include the semester.] That way when I click to send a message I'm only seeing my current semester courses.

Hope this helps!