cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Whoops! Something went wrong on our end.

Jump to solution

I am on Canvas Teacher App on an iPad.

Upon navigating to the Course assignments and tapping on Need Grading, I end up with the error message:

"Whoops! Something went wrong on our end. Don’t worry, we’ve recorded this and will be taking care of it shortly.”

Tried acting as other instructors in the same course, the error still persists.

P.S: submission type is file upload and media submission.

1 Solution
ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi rcordeiro

Thanks for your response.

I am with Canvas Team to find a solution for this. As it seem, it has something to do with  mobile updates in Canvas. Browser is working fine but have not tested in Android.

I will post the updates if I have any.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Community Champion

Good morning  @ashok_thapa  .  I got a notice that Canvas was down for about an hour on the 7th.  Could this have been the issue?

0 Kudos

@9927744 , I'm curious about that message you received. I just checked the Canvas Status page and it doesn't show any incidents for May 7. Was the message about the May 7 scheduled downtime for the Canvas Community—or was it something specific to Canvas accounts?

0 Kudos

It was the message about the Canvas Community.  I apologize for any confusion.  

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm curious if it's related to this question: No valid submissions error after clicking on to do list item 

As I suggested in that post, in the short term, I would suggest you log out of your user in the app, then delete the app, and reinstall. I would also suggest you report this to your local tech support (or Canvas support, if you have direct contact), so they can create a ticket for the mobile team. 

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi  @rseilham 

Thanks for the input.

Please refer to the image attached.

Here, the assignment needs 8 grading. And upon tapping the icon need grading, I land into the error message.

Assignment assigned to everyone has no issue though. Smiley Happy

Canvas L2 support could replicate the same and I tried with different login, error still the same. I still can not figure out the issue and have moved to browser.

313043_Image-1.jpg

rcordeiro1
Community Member

313177_8C76E1D6-B9B4-4D69-8029-A12DA3ACC11A.jpegI also have this issue at since May 10th. Here is an image of the exact message I get once going through my To-Do list. I have a lot to grade, and primarily use the app! The browser option on my iPad is so clunky! I tried deleting the app and reinstalling it, but it did not work. Hopefully, Canvas can fix this soon.

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi rcordeiro

Thanks for your response.

I am with Canvas Team to find a solution for this. As it seem, it has something to do with  mobile updates in Canvas. Browser is working fine but have not tested in Android.

I will post the updates if I have any.

Thanks,

EmileSorger
Community Participant

I also have been having this message for the last three days and am unable to grade assignments via mobile on my end.  I attempted to reset the permissions for myself and remove/add my self back to the account but nothing seems to work.  I am able to grade submissions on the website, just not mobile.

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi

I am with Canvas with this case. I have been told that this error is not because of permission or error in course publish options.

The problem is assigning the assignment to a section of students. Changing the assigned to option to everyone is a short fix.

hope this helps.

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ashok Thapa‌, 

Thanks for reporting the ticket. This is something that is being looked at for a fix in an upcoming release. The tickets really help the mobile team identify the issue, so thanks. (: 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas Teacher 1.8.1 is now available. Can you check to see if this solves your issue? All you need to do is update the app. Thanks!

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi  @rseilham 

Looks like the update fixes the bug.

Doing some testing though... :smileygrin:

Cheers

That's good news. We are actually up to Canvas Teacher 1.8.3 with 2 updates in the last week. Let me know if the updates aren't doing the trick after more testing. Good luck!

Any luck on the latest updates of the Teacher app? 

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Looks like the issue is resolved.

I have not encountered any issue of the same.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

That's great news! Feel free to reply to this thread if it comes up again. 

0 Kudos
michelle_huettl

I recently changed to using the app for grading, and I'm getting this error consistently when I try to look at just one section. It doesn't seem that this was solved, unless there is something else that could be causing this?

0 Kudos

Hi Ms.H,

Sorry to hear the experience. I understand this is not a pleasant experience to have on and end users side. As far as I am aware this could be Canvas cache or something I am not aware of. For me an app update and clearing the App cache worked.

Let know how you go with it. 

cheers

Ashok

0 Kudos

I'm sorry to hear that app isn't working properly. One suggestion is to the delete the app in a different way. I would suggest you delete the app and it's data from the phone's settings instead of simply deleting the icon from the home screen:

How to Delete Application Data in iOS (with Pictures) - wikiHow 

It's possible the app is being deleted, but there is still bad cached app data on the phone and when you redownload the app, you keep hitting that bad data and it's causing the issue again.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
gharbor
Community Participant

I had to delete the App and re-install it before the issue seemed to go away. All fixed now though.. I think.

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

Hi Grant,

I think it was limited to the app verison.

An updated app might have addressed the issue.

jmkirk

I'm having this problem now with the app on my IPad, 9/10/20.  Is there anything I can do?

0 Kudos

Yes, this happens constantly on the app on our student's iPads in our school.  (Our school has one-to-one iPads for all of middle and high school students.)  Should we just force all students to use a web browser to access our infrastructure webpage and abandon the app?

0 Kudos