Why are 2 of my students Blocked to progress to the next module, when the other 10 classmates were able to move into the next module without any issues?

Jump to solution
hatfield_robin
Community Member

Why are 2 of my students Blocked to progress to the next module, when the other 10 classmates were able to move into the next module without any issues? This has NEVER happened before. I have "republished" the module and that did not correct the 2 students access problem. Yes, they can log in, Yes, they can go to the last page of the previous module. No, they cannot move beyond that module and are being BLOCKED. The Canvas program states they do not have access because of the date to open the module (which the module open date was 2 days ago). Remember 10 other students currently have access to the same module that the 2 students are blocked because of the date to open is in the future, when actually it is in the past, and is currently open.  Any suggestions to fix this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@hatfield_robin  

Simply republishing a module will not help with prerequisites. Re-Locking the module may.

Viewing the last page in the previous module means nothing unless you have requirements for the previous module and students must complete all of the requirements and they must move them in sequential order. Here is a lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide about requirements: How do I add requirements to a module?  

You can see which requirements are missing for those two students. It's unlikely to be the date that is causing the issue, especially since the date is in the past. This lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide explains how: How do I use modules to view the progress of students in a course?  

The problem should be fixable right now without messing with requirements, but if you plan on using the course again, you may want to get that straightened out.

This lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide may help with the immediate problem: How do I add prerequisites to a module?  

Here's where I would start.

1. Remove the prerequisite and Update Module.
  2. Go back in and add the prerequisite. When it asks you to Re-Lock Module, choose Re-Lock Modules.

You could stop with step 1. Since everyone else is already there and the two students are supposed to have access, simply removing the prerequisite should let them in.

View solution in original post