Why are attached files deleted from the Files page when removed from a Discussion?

Jump to solution
irishb
Community Contributor

It appears that when an attached file is removed from a Discussion, that file is also deleted from the site's "Files" page. This is problematic behavior and confusing for users.

Current behavior:

• When a file is attached to a discussion by faculty, it becomes available at the course site's "Files" page under the folder "unfiled."
  • When the attached file is removed from the discussion, this causes the file to be deleted from the "Files" page.

Is it possible, please, to retain files that have been added to a course as an attachment, but removed from the original point of attachment, in the "Files" section?

In other words -- can an "attached" file be treated the same as an "uploaded" file?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Bridget Irish
Canvas admin/support at The Evergreen State College, Olympia WA, USA

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi @irishb 

I just tested this in one of my sandboxes, and I found that when you upload a file from your PC into a discussion, that file is not also uploaded into your file area in that Canvas course. It also does not appear to be uploaded into your personal files in Canvas. Unless there is a delay in processing, I am now not sure where the dang thing goes; although, the html code for that embed does show that it is in my course Files. If I find out where the files go (after a processing delay), I will come back and let you know.

My normal workflow is to upload to my course Files area, then load wherever I need it in my course.

Anyways, If you would like to see this functionality added to Canvas, please create a new Idea Conversation in this community, or support an existing idea for this.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post