cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abbyrosenthal3

Why are my jpeg images disappearing?!!!

Jump to solution

I am writing a test and saved images in my course files as jpegs (yes, I published the file). Now, some of my jpeg images show up some don't. I have re-saved the jpegs and made sure that they were in the course files correctly and still they are not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @abbyrosenthal3 ...

Out of curiosity, have you tried using *.jpg files instead of *.jpeg (not that it should really matter)?  What about saving them as a different file format like *.png or *.gif?  Over the weekend I noticed that there was a broken image in a Global Announcement I had published to our Dashboard earlier in the week.  The *.jpg image was working just fine earlier in the week, but yesterday the image was broken.  Today, it is appearing like it should.  I wonder if something happened yesterday with the updates that were pushed out to Canvas?  Not saying that it's the same issue on your end...but maybe worth checking out with the Canvas Help Desk folks?  Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

Thanks very much for that Kimberly. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Another colleague had it happen to her as well.

Cheers

View solution in original post

31 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @abbyrosenthal3 ...

Out of curiosity, have you tried using *.jpg files instead of *.jpeg (not that it should really matter)?  What about saving them as a different file format like *.png or *.gif?  Over the weekend I noticed that there was a broken image in a Global Announcement I had published to our Dashboard earlier in the week.  The *.jpg image was working just fine earlier in the week, but yesterday the image was broken.  Today, it is appearing like it should.  I wonder if something happened yesterday with the updates that were pushed out to Canvas?  Not saying that it's the same issue on your end...but maybe worth checking out with the Canvas Help Desk folks?  Hope this helps...

clwinn

I am also having this issue. Changing the file format to png has not helped. Not sure what's going on...

It didn’t help to chang it to PNG either.. what finally helped was to switch browsers to Safari…instead of Chrome

It is happening to me and I am using Safari... weird.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abbyrosenthal3  and clwinn...

It looks like this is being reported by other Canvas users, too (example: (very) odd embedded image behavior and Images embedded in Pages disappear/reappear at random?).  As  @kmeeusen ‌ has suggested in those posts, it would probably be best to contact the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to report the issue so they can get it logged.  I also experienced this issue today when building a course for one of our instructors.

Hi I have had the issue too particularly in Chrome. I was instructed by Canvas Help to clear browsing data and that seemed to fix it at the time but it has reoccurred.

Good news! After further correspondence with L1 Operations Canvas Support, I just received the following email: 

"Thank you for clarifying that you've attempted the browser steps. After further investigating, I was able to recreate the same behavior. Unfortunately I haven't found a root cause yet, so I've notified our engineers of this situation and they've created a work ticket to narrow down this issue. I've attached this message to the engineers work ticket. That way, once there's a resolution, you'll be notified through email." So perhaps this will be resolved soon. Yay!

Thanks very much for that Kimberly. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Another colleague had it happen to her as well.

Cheers

This has been happening to me too.  The solution is to clear the cache but I'm tired of doing that all the time!

Amen to that. This has been so frustrating. Smiley Happy

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Here is an update...

My experience has been that clearing the browser cache only works for a short time. Others have reported the same  

I emailed Canvas to check on the status of my ticket about this issue. Here is the 12/17/17 response:

Thank you for checking in. Our engineers are still working on this case. We do not have additional updates at this time. This ticket is still on our radar. You will be notified once we have more information.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Canvas Support
support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref

I would ask that anyone who is also experiencing this problem to PLEASE submit an official Support Request to Canvas (and maybe also reference the number above?). With so many instructors likely 'on break' right now, I worry that some may not discover the problem until much closer to semester start time (so are not reporting it). My hope is that more official requests now may = more techs working on it, and may head off potential panic later. If this remains unresolved at the start of the new semester, it will be a real problem for anyone who (like me) uses embedded images with hyperlinks for course navigation and/or embeds images in quizzes. 

Leigh Ann has provided her case #02675969, and a copy of the support request response at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91107-re-broken-images-after-uploading?commentID=91107&et=wa... Thank you Leigh Anne! Smiley Happy 

See also "Images not Posting on Canvas Quizzes" (submitted by Jayson Rigsby on 12/16/17)

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91081-re-images-not-posting-on-canvas-quizzes?commentID=9108... 

Thanks for the update Kimberly.

Done so, my case #02687703 I hope this gets fixed soon.

Thank you Josue! I will add your case case #02687703 to some of the other conversations about this.

debra_russell

Hi all

This is the message I got yesterday from Canvas Support.

Hi,

Your Canvas Support case 02667582 has been set to a "solved" status. If you'd like to reopen this case, please reply to this email message.

As a reminder, the subject line on this case was: Banners disappearing

Hello Debra, 

Thank you for your ticket number. Others have received 'generic' types of responses (clear cache, try a different computer...), which leads me to believe that some techs are not aware of the scope of this problem. I am guessing that you are not experiencing this problem as being "solved"? 

If that is the case, you might try reopening your ticket and pasting the following information into that email:

Here are some of the recent case numbers that others have posted to the Canvas Community about image related problems: #02672254, #02675969, #02687703. #02667582, #02676804, #02688690, #02690931, #02696853 . In case it helps the engineers, here are just some of the links to other conversations about this.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

I just discovered that the course menu navigation tab links I had previously disabled (hidden) have suddenly reappeared. I also noticed that each tab has a line underneath it. This is not true in student view (just instructor view). but it is different than what I am used to seeing. Though I am still missing some embedded images, I am wondering if phenomemon this is a function of Canvas engineers working on our images disappearing issue, or if it something new that I should report. Has this happened to anyone else?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Abby and Kimberly,
Thank you for reporting this issue and for working to help your colleagues and head off any panic. I checked with Support this AM and we are aware of this ongoing issue. Our technicians have been able to duplicate and document the cache issue. It has been escalated to the highest level in Support and our engineers are working on solving it now. The best thing you can do is update your tickets with any new information you uncover and if you believe you have a ticket that was marked resolved before we discovered that clearing cache did not permanently fix the issue, please update them to that effect.

Thanks again for your help with getting the word out and for coming back and providing more information.

Hello Scott, Thank you for the update Smiley Happy 

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello Community...

I received the following update to my case #02672254... "engineers have deployed a temporary fix for this issue, which should allow images to show correctly for you in Canvas until a more permanent fix is in place." This issue did appear to be resolved when viewing my course as an instructor. 

However...

Joel Brown posted the following today at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91785-re-images-embedded-in-pages-disappearreappear-at-rando... 

"I've had a few conversations with support regarding this issue. My most recent case: 02688342 was a little different to my previous ones. All images displayed correctly for me and when viewing the page as admin and also under 'student view' however when I log in as an enrolled student, the images did not display. I tested this on various computers in the office, chrome, FF, IE, clear cache etc without any resolution. It still only happened when logged in as an enrolled student."

So, I just wanted to pass along the 'heads-up'. Since I do not have 'admin' status (cannot 'masquerade' as a student  - only have the 'student view'), I will be calling call my institution's Canvas Help Desk first thing tomorrow when they open - to find out what they see when logged in as an enrolled student in my course. Other 'non-admins' may want to do the same?, and perhaps update their cases with Canvas engineers accordingly?

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

A quick update...

I inquired (via my ticket email) as to the embedded images for 'enrolled student' an received the following response:

Thank you for your reply to Canvas Support. I have checked on our tracker and our team is still working on this behavior and trying to correct it. At this time I don't have an ETA on when this will be resolved, but when our team does resolve this we will update you through your email and this ticket. If you would like us to check through your student's view in Canvas at some of the affected pages, could you share us links to those pages? If you have any further questions for Canvas Support, please let us know. We're happy to help where we can.

L1 Support
support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref

So, I guess this issue is not fixed Smiley Sad. If anyone has better news, I would really love to hear from you. My students will be getting loaded into my courses in less than two days.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

A final (?) update..

Students have now been loaded into my courses and, after speaking with the Canvas Help Desk at my local institution, it appears that 'enrolled students' are able to view embedded images. Yay! So, perhaps the disappearing images from 'enrolled student' view (mentioned above) is separate from the one that engineers have been working on. If anything changes (as students begin accessing pages and assignments), I will follow-up. If you are experiencing something different, please keep us posted.

Many thanks to everyone who participated in helping bring the urgent 'diappearing images' problem to the attention of Canvas engineers (submitting problem reports and shaing case numbers with the community)! 

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

It's Feb 14, as I type this: Is there a "final" status for this issue? A "Done", or a "Still working on it"?

I ask because we're encountering something similar. No rhyme or reason. Image looks good one day. Next day, not.

Delete. Re-insert it. It seems to be fine... at the time.

Still testing.

trina_larson

It's February 14 (Valentine's Day) and, Cliff, we should be doing something other than thinking about Canvas! :smileygrin: I was having a similar issue on my Mac, especially when using Safari. I found one solution: to hold down the refresh arrow in the URL line and select "Reload with Plug-ins." My images would be restored temporarily (sometimes I had to reselect "Reload with Plug-ins" two or three times in a row or it to work). As days passed I would have to do this from time to time; however, I'm now finding that my images (.jpeg, .png) are more stable. I occasionally have to do reload, but it's becoming uncommon. I wonder if the patch referred to, above, is working. (BTW, referring back to another writer, I also tried uninstalling/reinstalling images, but this had no effect.) Clearing caches can do magical things after updates to webpages, etc. are made online. I never thought to try this.

In any event, this issue made my first course deployment in Canvas very stressful. Thanks everyone, for your work to solve it. 

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

This issue did appear to have been resolved by the time my courses opened in early January 2018, but then resurfaced for me again yesterday. I am using Chrome. As you will see in the conversations above, and those in the link below, this occurs across multiple browsers, and clearing cache, etc. does not resolve the issue. Thus, it seems that the fix for this issue (deployed Jan 2018) is no longer holding? Or perhaps a recent Canvas update may have not included the fix for this problem? Some have reported that images in their Canvas Quizzes are not showing up.

One indication that this 'quiz image problem' could occur for students may also surface in other places as well. 

For example:

My HomePage is now sometimes appearing like this:                      Instead of this:

270987_pastedImage_271.png         270988_pastedImage_272.png

If you are running into a problem with images disappearing, PLEASE help by submitting a Problem Report to Canvas. I expect that the more that this critical issue is reported, the quicker it will make it to the Canvas Engineers' radar. 

In case you are unfamiliar with how to submit a Problem Report...

Once you login to your Canvas LMS, click on "Help?" from the Main Menu on the left. Then select "Report a Problem" from the 'dropdown box' that opens. 

270995_pastedImage_425.png

I have submitted a new Problem Report, which included a link to this page (https://community.canvaslms.com/message/94343-re-images-embedded-in-pages-disappearreappear-at-rando... ), and to a more recent submission (with links to other question submission there) at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/97114-re-disappearing-graphics?commentID=97114#comment-97114 

Personally, I am not comfortable giving my upcoming exam (scheduled to open 3/15 @12:01am) until it is resolved. The exam needs to include embedded images for students to answer the exam questions. Hopefully, this gets fixed soon. 

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello everyone...

I've been reviewing older questions here in the Community, and I noticed that this one hasn't had any new activity for more than three months.  Because of this, I am going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered"...keeping in mind that there still may be some folks who are experiencing this issue.  This won't prevent anyone from posting additional questions or comments here, but I might direct you to this more recent thread that's been having a very similar conversation: Disappearing Graphics.  It's always a good idea to submit tickets to the Help Desk staff at Instructure when you see issues crop up like this (and you can certainly post your ticket number as a reference for others in the https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/23970 thread if you want).  Thanks all...

jeffrey_forrest

This problem is continuing -- despite help desk requests.

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant
0 Kudos
LindsayAbraham
Community Member

Still having this problem in 12/2020!

0 Kudos

Still having the problem March 28, 2021. 

1)  Trying to export quizzes from a math class today with many many images, and they are all gone when imported into another class.

2)  All quarter long a few students were complaining that they could not see images.  I suggest trying a different browser, and I do not hear from them again.

3)  It even happened to me when I was trying to edit my existing class.  All of a sudden the images were gone.  A couple of hours later I tried again, and they were back.

Apparently this has been going on for four years now.

OLFUMELGARCIA

It happened to me, and reason was copyright issues

0 Kudos