cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_dyke
Community Member

Why are some of my module items "grayed out"?

Jump to solution

How do I edit an existing multiple choice quiz?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @richard_dyke , and welcome to the Canvas Community! I've just viewed a module that contains a long list of quizzes; I tried unpublishing the quiz, and setting an available until date on it that is in the past, and I still couldn't get it to appear "grayed out." I also switched to Student View to view the module containing the quiz with the "available until" date in the past, and it still didn't appear "grayed out." It was visible, but marked "overdue." If the quiz is not published, the icon to the left will appear gray rather than green; is that what you mean by "grayed out"?

In Canvas, teachers by and large can still click on items that are grayed out and can access unpublished items. One example of this is the course navigation menu on the left; the grayed out navigation links are either not visible to students or do not contain any content, but teachers can still click on them to access the items within. In other words, regardless of how that quiz presents in the module, you should be able to click on that quiz and then edit its questions by clicking the Edit button at the upper right, then selecting the Questions tab in the edit interface. Remember to save, save, and save again during the edit process.

So if you are seeing a grayed out item in a module, and you cannot click on it, I am wondering whether you have been given teacher privileges in the course. Even if you haven't, I'm not sure why it would appear greyed out. So please post a screenshot of what you are seeing and we'll continue to assist you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @richard_dyke , and welcome to the Canvas Community! I've just viewed a module that contains a long list of quizzes; I tried unpublishing the quiz, and setting an available until date on it that is in the past, and I still couldn't get it to appear "grayed out." I also switched to Student View to view the module containing the quiz with the "available until" date in the past, and it still didn't appear "grayed out." It was visible, but marked "overdue." If the quiz is not published, the icon to the left will appear gray rather than green; is that what you mean by "grayed out"?

In Canvas, teachers by and large can still click on items that are grayed out and can access unpublished items. One example of this is the course navigation menu on the left; the grayed out navigation links are either not visible to students or do not contain any content, but teachers can still click on them to access the items within. In other words, regardless of how that quiz presents in the module, you should be able to click on that quiz and then edit its questions by clicking the Edit button at the upper right, then selecting the Questions tab in the edit interface. Remember to save, save, and save again during the edit process.

So if you are seeing a grayed out item in a module, and you cannot click on it, I am wondering whether you have been given teacher privileges in the course. Even if you haven't, I'm not sure why it would appear greyed out. So please post a screenshot of what you are seeing and we'll continue to assist you.

Thanks!

View solution in original post