cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbuchner
Community Contributor

Why aren't all student comments appearing in Speed grader?

Jump to solution

I have a group assignment, and as part of the assignment, I ask the students to submit a comment. However, not all the comments appear in speed-reader, though they are appearing when I look at the grade report view of the assignments. Anyone know why?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@jbuchner ,

If I understand what you're saying correctly, this happens when a student is not part of a group. If you go to the course discussion page (the one with the blue box with the links to all of the group discussions) and scroll down past your original question, any comments there are from people who were not in a group.

They show up there but they do not show up in SpeedGrader. I think there's some message about it, but I don't remember off the top of my head what it was.

There was another question in the last day or so about people moving into a group after a discussion reply had been made and whether or not the discussion followed them. If you look at the groups and you see that everyone is in one, then be sure to check out the course discussion as I described in the first paragraph. It's possible they were added to a group after they had posted their reply.  It could also be that they were never put into a group. I went back through some previous courses looking for posts that had been made before people were put into groups and couldn't find any, so it may be that they are moved once they're added to a group.

This happened to me a year or so ago, so it's possible things have changed.

There is a related question from 2015 here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/15280 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
James
Community Champion

@jbuchner ,

If I understand what you're saying correctly, this happens when a student is not part of a group. If you go to the course discussion page (the one with the blue box with the links to all of the group discussions) and scroll down past your original question, any comments there are from people who were not in a group.

They show up there but they do not show up in SpeedGrader. I think there's some message about it, but I don't remember off the top of my head what it was.

There was another question in the last day or so about people moving into a group after a discussion reply had been made and whether or not the discussion followed them. If you look at the groups and you see that everyone is in one, then be sure to check out the course discussion as I described in the first paragraph. It's possible they were added to a group after they had posted their reply.  It could also be that they were never put into a group. I went back through some previous courses looking for posts that had been made before people were put into groups and couldn't find any, so it may be that they are moved once they're added to a group.

This happened to me a year or so ago, so it's possible things have changed.

There is a related question from 2015 here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/15280 

View solution in original post

jbuchner
Community Contributor

So very close, but might actually the source of the problem. I rely on others to sort the students into groups. If a document was submitted, before the students were put in their groups, would this cause Assignment Comments to not appear in the right place for speed grader?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jbuchner , YES! That could definitely be what caused the problem.

James
Community Champion

That was the question the other person had and I don't have an answer to that. I went back to check previous semesters that had the issue and couldn't find it. However, I did find this post from 2 years ago: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/18112 

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Guess what? it's happening again, and this time, I don't think it's because students weren't in a group, the teaching assistant had them in groups very early on. There's a variety of devices being used here, different operating systems and browsers, mobile devices and apps, I don't have the time to investigate all the combinations that could be creating this problem, but I have pointed out to people how to use the help function to see what the solution will be.