cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
liuz21
Community Participant

Why can not see the tab of Google Docs or Google Drive when submitting an Assignment?

Jump to solution

How do I connect to Google Drive as a web service in Canvas? In my account, Google Drive has already been a registered service in my account - I am an admin. Why I can not see the tab of Google Docs or Google Drive when I am testing to submit an assignment?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@liuz21 ​,

How are you testing submission?

If you're doing it as the test student, that's not your account, so the Google Account isn't linked to it and the Google Docs tab will only show up if you have a registered service for that account (test student).

If you're masquerading as a student, then this is a security feature. People who are masquerading as someone else do not get access to their Google Files. I use that to reassure my students that even though I'm a Canvas Admin and can see almost anything, I can't see their Google files (or submit it for them if they forget)

View solution in original post

14 Replies
James
Community Champion

@liuz21 ​,

How are you testing submission?

If you're doing it as the test student, that's not your account, so the Google Account isn't linked to it and the Google Docs tab will only show up if you have a registered service for that account (test student).

If you're masquerading as a student, then this is a security feature. People who are masquerading as someone else do not get access to their Google Files. I use that to reassure my students that even though I'm a Canvas Admin and can see almost anything, I can't see their Google files (or submit it for them if they forget)

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@liuz21 ​, how are you trying to access this? As a test student? The only thing I've found to work is to add myself as a student to the course. Once I've been added as an actual student then I'm able to see the Google Doc tab.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

In addition to what  @James ​ has stated,  @liuz21 , my recollection is that the Google Docs tab appearing in assignments is a feature that has to be enabled for your account by your CSM--so since you are an admin, you might want to  double-check with your CSM to make sure the Google Docs assignment submission integration has been turned on for your account.

liuz21
Community Participant

Thanks for your reply. How to submit the assignment with an admin account? I only can edit the assignment, but haven't found the submit button.

liuz21
Community Participant

Yes, I am testing as the test student. What is the correct way to test the submission?

liuz21
Community Participant

Thanks for your reply. Hmm... does turning on the Google Docs assignment submission integration refer to registering Google Drive in my account settings? It has already been registered.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@liuz21 ​, that's the issue. You need to add yourself to a course as a student. Once you add yourself as a student then the submit button will show up. Check out this quick video and see if it answers your questions - 07.13.2016-15.57.51 - KonaJones's library

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @liuz21 ​...

Yes...when you go to the admin pages of Canvas and then click on "Settings", near the bottom of that screen are these options:

EnabledWebServices.jpg

...and these correspond to the "Registered Services" that you can set up via your own Canvas profile ("Account" >> "Settings").

Hope this helps.

No,  @liuz21 , I'm referring to the entire account for the school, not your personal account. If you have followed all of the recommendations in this discussion, and none of them do the trick, check with your CSM.