Why can't students access linked files, and what does "content in a different course" mean?

Jump to solution
nicholas_steven
Community Novice

In previous years, I've posted required readings as PDFs under Assignments by inserting links to course files directly into the text of my typed instructions. These have always been accessible right away to students, without my having to do anything else. Now, however, I've begun to get emails saying "In [Assignment name], students are clicking [text that should have a downloadable file linked], to content in a different course." I have no idea what this means, but sure enough, an Access Denied page comes up when I click the highlighted text. What is happening, and why did it never happen before? See image for example.

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello nicholas.stevens...

I would agree with  @wendys_mueller  ... except to say that it's more of the norm than a work-around.  When you link to files in your course, you want to make sure that the files reside in your course "Files".  Sometimes instructors will try and copy a link from one course and paste it into a page in another course.  This will not work because the link it pointing to a unique Course ID number in a different course than the one that you're currently working in.  If students try and use that link in your other course, they would see a message similar to what you described because they do not have access to that course (they are not enrolled).  There's a great way to help determine if you have broken links in your course.  Check out this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12770-4152476605  It will help you identify if you have any links that need your attention.

I hope this information will be helpful to you, Nicholas.  Please sing out if you have any questions...thanks!

View solution in original post