cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Why do student created discussions show they were edited by the instructor?

Jump to solution

I am using Canvas discussions for an assignment where a student posts an article for discussion in class.  The students do this by creating a completely new discussion for each article.  The student created discussions list the student name below the title, but at the end of the post always note "This topic was edited by" and then list my name - see image below. 

Any ideas why it looks like I have edited these posts when I haven't?

173329_pastedImage_0.png

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, David,

This code is in our beta environment and will be part of the release on Saturday. Details: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

Thanks!

Erin

View solution in original post

11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@woodsdm2 ​, did you ever click on these discussion and then edit for any reason? Even if you didn't actually do something to the post? I just tried to recreated this and the only way I got the "edited by" message to show up was if I clicked on the discussion, clicked the edit button, and saved it (even if I didn't actually change anything).

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

I see this even when the only action I have taken is to read the post.

On rare occasions, I will edit student posts and expect to see that I edited them, but from what I have noticed, Canvas thinks that I edit every post created by a student.

It's not a huge issue, but could give students the impression that they did something wrong that I had to correct.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you're sure you haven't clicked on the discussion and the edit button, then I'd report this to Canvas Support - click on the Help link --> Report a Problem --> explain what's going on and give specific discussions where you know you haven't clicked on the edit button.

Let us know what you find out!

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Unfortunately I can't contact Canvas support directly. I need to convince our local support staff that there is an issue, and then they will contact Canvas.

It sounds like you are seeing a different behavior, so I will pass that on to our support group and see if they can pass my issue to Canvas.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@woodsdm2 ​, hopefully your support group will get this question escalated to support quickly! If you do hear back with an answer or explanation please come back and let us know what you find out!

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Another update - I thought of one more thing to check.  It turns out that when students initially create their posts, it doesn't show that the instructor has edited the post.  However, I had be pinning the posts to make it easier to find them (students tell me they can't pin posts), and it looks like the action of pinning a post results in the post showing that it was edited by the instructor.

This is surprising - I don't see pinning a post as changing the discussion, just where it can be found in the list of discussions.  The documentation How do I pin a Discussion in the Index Page? doesn't mention that pinning the discussion will cause it to show as an edit.

What do others think?  Should pinning a discussion count as an edit?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@woodsdm2 ​, Good question. I'm going to ask one of the Canvas Documentation guru's about this, but you might also want to post the information directly as a comment on the specific guide you referenced. That way you'll know the documentation team sees and can address it.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, David,

It sounds like the act of an instructor pinning a discussion is technically an edit, but I don't think we agree that it should be acting as an edit. I was not able to find an escalated ticket from you on the Canvas support side, so we'll get a ticket in so that product can look into it further. No guarantee when I'll have an answer back but I'll be happy to post a response when I receive any new information.

Thanks,

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, David,

Our engineers worked on the code for that behavior and made it so pinning a discussion doesn't mark the student post as edited. That change should be part of the April 23 release.

Thanks,

Erin

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Thanks!  It's a minor thing, but glad to have it fixed.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, David,

This code is in our beta environment and will be part of the release on Saturday. Details: Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-04-23)

Thanks!

Erin