cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drake
Community Participant

Why don't student submission comments show up in SpeedGrader?

Jump to solution

I'm having a recurring problem:

1) I grade an assignment and leave a comment like, "You only got partial credit because one of your files is missing."

2) The student responds with, "Oh, sorry, here's the file."

3) I get an email about this, but when I go to SpeedGrader to regrade, the student comment is not listed!

Why don't student comments show up in SpeedGrader? That seems to be the one place where I'd want to read them. Is there a way to change this behavior?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
drake
Community Participant

I asked Help. It turns out the problem is that this is a group assignment and the commenting student had not checked the "Send Comment to the Whole Group".

I understand that comments without this box checked should not be shown to other students, as they might include comments like "Steve didn't do any work on this one". I would argue that it would be better to show the comments to the INSTRUCTOR regardless.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @drake ...

When I read through your steps, the assumption is that in Step #2, the student is re-submitting a file to you with a comment.  If that is the case, then the comment should still show in the previous submission as well as the new submission.  I tested this in my own sandbox course just to make sure.  Please review the section called "Evaluate Multiple Submissions" in this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13088-415255024  Do you see the comments from your student(s) if you switch from a previous submission to the most recent submission?  If not, you may want to reach out to the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to see if they may be able to help investigate this further for you.

drake
Community Participant

Nope, it doesn't show in either submission in SpeedGrader.

There is definitely a student comment that:

(a) I got an email about,

(b) is visible in "Submission Details" (which as far as I can tell I can only view using the link from the email), and

(c) is not visible in SpeedGrader for any submission.

I'll try asking Help about it.

drake
Community Participant

I asked Help. It turns out the problem is that this is a group assignment and the commenting student had not checked the "Send Comment to the Whole Group".

I understand that comments without this box checked should not be shown to other students, as they might include comments like "Steve didn't do any work on this one". I would argue that it would be better to show the comments to the INSTRUCTOR regardless.

View solution in original post