Why has Safari all of a sudden started jumping around?

Jump to solution
tmkerr1
Community Novice

If I have a long page that requires scrolling, every 5 or 10 seconds Safari will jump to the top. I have a 2018 MacBook Pro that is 100% updated as of the time of this posting.

I can see something similar happening in Firefox, the page doesn't jump, but the scroll bar will appear every 5 or 10 seconds. Almost like it's trying to do the same thing.

The past 2 semesters I used Safari with no issue. I can workaround it by switching to Firefox, but I would prefer to just keep everything in the same place. Is there a bug that's being worked on?

2 Solutions
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Thomas Kerr,

Since you've already said that your laptop and browsers are all up to date, this may sound like a strange question, but is there anything resting on your keyboard? I've had web pages suddenly jump on me because I had something on a button on the keyboard without realizing.

Next question, is there any strange content on the page? Perhaps a iFrame or plugin from some other content? I'm guessing the jumping around only happens on pages with lots of content. (For instance the scroll-jump doesn't happen on the Modules page, right?) It could be there is some wonky content on the page that is disagreeing with your browser/computer. Let us know what kind of pages the scroll-jump happens on, as the culprit could be the content on the page.

Do your browsers have content blockers enabled? or other browser plugins activated? Sometimes grammarly will act up on me and jump me around when I'm in Safari.

Without more information about the page where the behavior occurs, these are the best thoughts. Feel free to also submit a help ticket to Canvas or your campus if you believe this is a true random bug and it doesn't happen to others.

Hope this answer helps,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. Please submit a support ticket if you are still encountering this behavior (How do I get help with Canvas as a student?‌).

View solution in original post