cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melissazolyomi
Community Member

Why is Linkedin not connecting to Canvas?

Jump to solution

I try to connect my Linkedin account to Canvas and it says it fails every time. It doesn't list as a registered service and I get the red "failure to connect" banner at the top of the screen. However, when I go to Linkedin and check out my Permitted Services, it lists Canvas as a service that I've added. Why doesn't Canvas show the same? I've tried removing and re-registering Linkedin to Canvas but that did not work.

321933_Capture edited.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

melissazolyomi Welcome to the Canvas Community! Melissa, kylemcfarlane‌, and  @anthony_harris ‌, we've had other reports of this, and we're working to address it. Your best course of action right now would be for each of you to submit your own support tickets (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?; for students, the instructions are essentially the same) so that you will be notified on progress toward a resolution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kylemcfarlane
Community Member

I am having the same exact problem. 

anthony_harris
Community Participant

Same here.  Is there a broader issue?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

melissazolyomi Welcome to the Canvas Community! Melissa, kylemcfarlane‌, and  @anthony_harris ‌, we've had other reports of this, and we're working to address it. Your best course of action right now would be for each of you to submit your own support tickets (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?; for students, the instructions are essentially the same) so that you will be notified on progress toward a resolution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

This behavior is a result of Microsoft limiting the information that Canvas can receive from LinkedIn via API. Our teams are trying to determine how much LinkedIn has previously been used and if it still provides value to our customers. We apologize for the inconvenience during this time of investigation!

Thanks,

Erin

Hi erinhallmark, could you please put a note on the How do I connect to LinkedIn as a web service in Canvas as an instructor? page that this Service is currently not available? We have faculty who are trying to follow those directions to add the Service and when it fails they complain that Canvas is broken. Thank you, Susan.

Hi, Susan,

Our teams have been trying to figure out how to best solve the problem. But they have made a decision to remove the integration as there are some underlying factors with LinkedIn that will keep them from correcting the behavior. More information will be made available in the release notes once the integration has been removed (which should be in the next release), and that lesson will be removed. Anyone who wants to use LinkedIn still can as incorporated with our new Portfolium offering. In case you are interested in learning more about this announcement: Instructure combines Portfolium and Canvas 

Thanks,

Erin

I have the same problem and it has not changed in the last 10 weeks (I try almost every week). I hope you can help. The two main purposes of the courses are visibility at Linkedin and knowledge.

cms_hickss
Community Contributor

If I am reading the Canvas Labs Document correctly, the LinkedIn Service on the User's Settings page will be removed during the next Canvas update.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all,

The update regarding LinkedIn has been added to Canvas Deploy Notes (2019-12-04)

Thanks,

Erin