cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrick_garity
Community Member

Why is it so hard to adjust the grades for a quiz?

Is it me or is it impossible to set the grading for my mid term? I'm really developing a deep hatred of this over complicated un user friendly program!!!!!!! I'm considering not accepting another teaching assignment because of this horrible software! I took a four day course on how to use it. But the bottom line is: it over complicated, clunky and burdensome! it doesn't make teaching easier but it just increases the amount of work! I hate CANVAS!

Tags (3)
8 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi patrick.garity

I am sorry you are having so much trouble adjusting to your new LMS. Most of our faculty found Canvas to be very simple when they first migrated, and much simpler than the brand-X we migrated from. This was actually one of the reasons we chose Canvas more than five years ago.

Explain exactly what kind of grading you wish to set for your midterm (I am guessing you mean a mid-term exam?), and I will gladly help you.

That is one thing you will not find for the other LMSs, a worldwide community of helpful folks at your fingertips. That being said, when you ask a question in here, play nice. For the most part these 200,000+ people are not Instructure employees, they are just users like yourself, trying to help users like yourself.

Kelley

Hi patrick.garity...

Sorry to hear that you are having some difficulties with Canvas.  I am in agreement with  @kmeeusen ‌ that if you could provide some additional detail, that would be helpful for us here in the Community.  Also, to piggyback on Kelley's last paragraph, I wanted to share this link: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1326-what-are-the-canvas-community-guidelines 

Looking forward to hearing from you, Pat.

Kelley, What I am trying to do is very simple. I have administered a 125 question mid -term exam. But somehow Canvas assigned 12.5 points for the test. I would like to assign a proper points for each question but nothing I've tried seems to do but add to my frustration. I have searched the instructor guides several times to no avail. i have opened and closed my exam over and over but can't find the right command to assign points to a question in an exam. It seems to be hidden somewhere that I can't find. Please make this easier so I can focus on instruction instead of hours of struggling with a piece of software that i find very obtuse.

Thank you, Pat

Hi Pat,

It seems there's a bit of confusion here - no one on these community discussion boards have any control over the design of Canvas -we're people like you who are users, and come together to discuss how to best use Canvas.

As for the points - this is the first line in each question when you create it.  For example, here's a guide on creating a multiple choice question and it shows a screenshot of the top of the question where the points for that question are set: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12884-415241477 

Can you look at your quiz and see what's listed there in that box?

patrick.garity‌, I'm wondering if this exam was originally imported from a different learning management system or test bank; in such cases, the points that come into Canvas sometimes do not correspond to what you'd like them to be.

From your description, it's not clear how many points you'd like this quiz to be worth. If you want it to be worth 125 points, you can move all of the questions into a single question group and assign a 1-point-per-question value in the question group. For more information on how to do that, please see How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions?‌ (and yes, the side effect of using a question group is that the question order will automatically be randomized). 

Hi patrick.garity...

In addition to the information that  @abunag  and stefaniesanders have both given you today, you might want to check out this presentation by Deactivated user‌ from this past Summer: .  I understand that individual points per question may not be the most elegant way to do things right now (though Stefanie's suggestion is certainly a good option), but maybe there will be improvements with the new quiz interface once Instructure releases it for everyone (date yet to be announced).  Just thought I'd put my two cents in here.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Per the Community guidelines of “Be cool,” and that profanity isn’t cool in this setting, I’ve removed it from the title of this post. Feel free to vent your frustrations, I’ve definitely done it a time or two, but let’s stay respectful. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, patrick.garity...

As I was reviewing older posting here in the Canvas Community, I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since  @kona ‌' posting on October 10, 2017.  I am hopeful that you've been able to find a solution or two to the Gradebook issues you had been experiencing.  However, if you're still experiencing any issues that fellow Canvas Community members might be able to help with, please let us know so that we might be able to troubleshoot with you.  I'm going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not had any new activity in this topic for over four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Pat.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon.