cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldershaw_1
Community Member

Why is my Canvas syllabus not uploading assignments alphabetically?

Hello, I have entered all of my assignments into "modules" in the order I want them, with "a", "b", "c", etc. at the front of each file name so that they are alphabetical but my syllabus is uploading them consistently as a, b, d, c. Any ideas? Thanks!

5 Replies
oldershaw_1
Community Member

PS. All of the assignments have exactly the same due date and due time, and have the same availability dates. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@oldershaw_1 , that's an interesting question. Could you possible take a screen shot of this part of your syllabus page and post it here so we can see exactly what you are seeing? That would help a lot!

Thanks! Kona

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @oldershaw_1  ~ Has your module page and syllabus page "synched up" since you initially asked in December? If you have a few minutes, it would be great to hear from you! Smiley Happy

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @oldershaw_1 ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I happened to stumble upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since December 30, 2018.  It looks like  @kona  and  @klundstrum  had replied to you.  Have you had a chance to review their feedback?  If so, did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members?  One thing you might want to verify is that you are absolutely sure you do not have any spaces before the letters a, b, c, and d.  This might disturb the order that you want your items to appear on the Syllabus page.  As Kona and Kristin have suggested, it would be great to hear back from you so that we can possibly help get your question answered.  Or, if you've found a solution on your own that you'd be willing to share with us in this topic, that would be great as well.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since May 5, 2019.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Leigh.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

They didn't really solve the problem but at least I have figured out a work around. It looks like Canvas prioritizes graded assignments over non-graded assignments so it will always place graded assignments first if they have the same deadline as the non-graded ones, no matter what letter they start with. In order to have non-graded assignments come first you have to give them an earlier deadline. Canvas will then order each category (graded and non-graded) alphabetically. Wish Canvas would just allow us to drag and drop order these items! Thanks so much for the help everyone!