cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wustert
Community Member

Why is my audio comment not saving?

I added an audio comment in gradebook, then hit stop, then save.  Then, I got a spinning clock of doom and a message "connecting"--40 minutes later, nothing.  The comment does not show up on another computer.  The first time I did a comment it worked.  I should have known not to trust Canvas to work consistently.

6 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @wustert .  Sorry to hear about the problem you are running in to.  I just tested in my sandbox course and the audio recording worked well.  While it is possible that the issue is with Canvas itself, it could also be something with your computer, browser, or internet connection.  Here are a couple of things you might try.

1- Use another web browser, Chrome and FireFox for example, and see if the issue persists.

2- Close down your web browser, clear the cache, and then reopen the browser and see if the issue persists.

3- Restart your computer and try again.  Really does work some time!

4- Update your web browser if it is not one of the versions listed here, Supported Web Browsers.

If none of these work you could contact Canvas Support and see what suggestions they may have.  If you are with UT Austin, it looks like this website explains how you can access 24/7 support, University of Texas Canvas.  

I hope this helps and good luck! 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @wustert ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 24, 2018.  It looks like ericwerth replied to you later that evening.  Have you had an opportunity to review his feedback?  Did any of those suggestions help to get your audio feedback working again in your Canvas course(s)?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with this question?  If you feel that Eric's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please let us know that as well so that someone might be able to chime in and help.  For now, i am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you for almost four months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for the same amount of time.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Tracy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Javierat
Community Member

The only solution that has worked for me is to wait for 10-15 minutes (some people said it took them 5 minutes though) for the video to save, but if you have a lot of comments to record, it's a waste of time.  It's better if you record a video on Canvas Studio or another recording tool, save it and upload it. Unfortunately, there are tools on Canvas that never work properly, so we have to find creative ways to work around them.  Do people run into these problems in Google Classroom?

williams_sean
Community Participant

I am having this same difficulty, and on more than one occasion (shame on me) have closed the "Record Media Comment" window in SpeedGrader prematurely, thus losing my work! Incredibly frustrating.

I would like to see three things from Canvas on this feature:

1) A clear indication that the video is processing -- and how long it should take.

2) A dialogue box that asks, "Are you sure you want to delete this video?" when you attempt to close the window prematurely.

3) The option to download the video if it is unable to upload for some reason.

If Canvas cannot provide these things, then they should disable the "record media comment" feature until these issues have been fixed. 

westk
Community Member

Couldn't agree more.  I am having the same issue.  December 2020.