cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Participant

Why is there so much confusion over concluding a course?

Jump to solution

It seems to me that concluding a course basically "turns the course off".  No more notifications. Teachers/students can still look but not touch.  And that's about it. Right?

Can concluded courses be used to copy from or import from?

Just curious...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jeremymay
Community Contributor

I think it may be from the way some SIS's handle the process of enrollments vs. term dates vs. course dates.  In our situation our enrollments are dictated by our enrollments file from our SIS.  For example, our 1st semester ended on 12/19 and in the enrollments file all students were marked for deletion.  This means that no matter what, teachers overriding included, after the term date ended all previous courses were removed from view.  If our teachers were part of that enrollment file they would've been included in the deletion.

However, our teachers were left in the course and it concluded on the term date 12/19 and they retained view rights.  This allowed them to go into the course settings and copy or export the course to use in their spring semester courses.

So I guess it depends if the enrollments are concluded or deleted, and if the entity has imposed teacher access restriction dates on courses inside of the Account level terms (Admins can impose further restrictions on start and end access for courses at the Account and Sub-Account levels).

Hope this helps!! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

24 Replies
jeremymay
Community Contributor

I think it may be from the way some SIS's handle the process of enrollments vs. term dates vs. course dates.  In our situation our enrollments are dictated by our enrollments file from our SIS.  For example, our 1st semester ended on 12/19 and in the enrollments file all students were marked for deletion.  This means that no matter what, teachers overriding included, after the term date ended all previous courses were removed from view.  If our teachers were part of that enrollment file they would've been included in the deletion.

However, our teachers were left in the course and it concluded on the term date 12/19 and they retained view rights.  This allowed them to go into the course settings and copy or export the course to use in their spring semester courses.

So I guess it depends if the enrollments are concluded or deleted, and if the entity has imposed teacher access restriction dates on courses inside of the Account level terms (Admins can impose further restrictions on start and end access for courses at the Account and Sub-Account levels).

Hope this helps!! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

jthoms
Community Participant

Another point that has caused us some pain is that adding individuals to the course via "people" becomes locked. This is often needed for adding new instructors to a past course. If your institution allows an extended course end date, that is a work-around.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

To solve the issue of teacher access after the end of the course, I changed the access date under each semester, just for teachers to the year 2099 so that they will remain active for good.  For us this is necessary for teachers to pull portfolio materials for their advancement applications and for longitudinal assessment projects.

curtain
Community Participant

But Ms. Marsek, doesn't this keep their list of course getting longer and longer and they start to lose track of what they have and/or get cluttered views in dropdown boxes, etc?

curtain
Community Participant

Worth noting that although the instructors can access their concluded courses to copy or import from into new courses, they cannot in those conclude course do *anything* other then read-only access.  This means that in a concluded course the instructor cannot download a copy of student submitted files (for including in an accreditation report for example) or even get out the feedback that they created for students.  All that is 'locked' into the concluded course and instructors cannot get anything out.  That has proven to be a problem for our faculty who are ok with read-only type access what want to be able to export or copy out student or instructor submitted artifacts.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

That may become a valid point.  Right now we are just in our first year.  Perhaps because we are a small health sciences college, with few courses that have multiple sections and many courses running only 1 x year the problem may be less obvious at this point.  In our previous product we did delete courses after 4 years.  It is likely we will need to do that again.

dwillmore
Community Champion

There is a new option for closing courses to students if you do not want them to have access to view the course and still let the instructor to be able to make changes to the course and that it is

We will be using this to 'close' our courses to students.

myerdon01
Community Champion

Another issue we found last term is that an instructor concluded the course before publishing final grades and we had to manually retrieve the grades by looking at the grade book and sending to the SIS. We tried "Unconclude" the course and that opened up a new section of the course with the same students and content, but wiped the grade book clean. I am making it my mission to make sure faculty does not conclude courses since we already have start and end dates on courses and we have term dates set that will end the courses.

clong
Community Champion

Hi Scott,

Just saw this post and wanted to let you know teachers can still download submissions (one-at-a-time) and access the feedback given in SpeedGrader. The trick is that they have to go the the gradebook and use the dropdown menu to do this.

50893_pastedImage_0.png

Not done yet, but I'm working on a community sourced guide that covers some tips. If you'd like to view or contribute see: Canvas End of Year Guide 2014-2015 - Google Docs