Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randall2

Why isn't the modules requirement to move through in sequential order not working?

Jump to solution

I have setup a module to include (in order): quiz, page, assignment 1, assignment 2. I have checked the box for "Students must move through requirements in sequential order" per How do I require students to move through each module item in order? 

Initially, everything except for the quiz is inactive (grayed out). However, students can just view (but not take) the quiz and then go back to Modules and the page and assignments have changed to active.

Is there any way to make them submit the quiz in order to make the page and assignments active? Or is this a bug?

Thank you for any info on this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
randall2

I think I figured out a solution: On the Module options window, underneath the "Students must complete all of these requirements" radio button is another radio button labeled, "Students must complete one of these assignments." Even though this second radio button is not selected, change the value of the second box under this from "view the item" to "submit the assignment." Then, after clicking Update Module, the word "View" changes to "Submit" next to the quiz item.

Funny that this occurred even though the second radio button was not selected, but hopefully it's a good workaround solution.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@randall2 , it's hard to say without seeing your settings, but something to check is what have you set is the requirement for each item? So for the quiz do you have it set so that they have to submit or that they have to view it? To make this work they would need to submit the quiz. Also, have you set up the page and other assignments requirements so that students have to view, mark as done, or submit? If you think you've set this all up correctly, then take a screen shot of your settings and post it for us to check out so we can see what might be going on!

Kona

randall2

I think I figured out a solution: On the Module options window, underneath the "Students must complete all of these requirements" radio button is another radio button labeled, "Students must complete one of these assignments." Even though this second radio button is not selected, change the value of the second box under this from "view the item" to "submit the assignment." Then, after clicking Update Module, the word "View" changes to "Submit" next to the quiz item.

Funny that this occurred even though the second radio button was not selected, but hopefully it's a good workaround solution.

Hi Kona, thanks for your reply. How do you set the requirement for each item? For example, with the quiz, I do not see anywhere on the module page or on the quiz edit page that lets me change the requirement from view to submit. The only place I see this is in the second (unselected) radio button option in the module options window.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Here's the link to the guide that explains how you can do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13134-415261967 

Thanks Kona, but I've read that page before and it doesn't tell you how to do BOTH of these:

1. Require all items to be completed sequentially, AND

2. Set the requirement for each item.

It's a radio button option, so it looks like you can do 1 OR 2 but not 1 AND 2.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Something seems off. Could you take a screenshot of your settings so I can see what you have?

Here are 4 screenshots showing the modules options and pages. Initially, the second radio button's textbox was set to "view the item" and the modules page showed "view" under the quiz. Then, I changed the textbox to "submit the assignment" and the modules page shows "submit" under the quiz. To me, it's a strange way to change the quiz requirement because it's underneath the inactive radio button ("Student must complete one of these requirements").

Module Options (initial)

Module Page (initial)

Module Options (updated)

Module Page (updated)

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you! This helped a lot! So the issue is that you need each item from your module added to the requirements for each module. So while you’ve got the quiz and it’s required that they submit you also need to add the 4 -Income Taxes, Assignment 4-A, and Assignment 4-B (for Module 4) and have for each one that students need to view or submit (or mark as done, etc). So each thing in the Module has to be added with a requirement in the Module settings. This will then cause the requirement information to also show up on the Module under the name of the item. 

See attached image for an example of how this should look. This is what I do for my own course. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks Kona, that makes sense. It's just not too intuitive from a UI/UX standpoint because the requirement boxes are directly below the second radio button. I assumed that these requirement boxes only worked if you chose the second radio button.