cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javier1
Community Member

Why suddenly files submitted by students, when downloaded, include + signs instead of spaces in their filenames?

Jump to solution

Dear Canvas community,

Suddenly, when I download submitted files fro students, Canvas will rename then replacing the spaces by + signs, so it the submitted file is "Name Of The File.docx", what I get is "Name+Of+The+File.docx". This never happened before. Why is this happening and how can I fix it?

Cheers,

Javier

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@javier1  Welcome  to the Canvas Community! Over the last month, our teams have been making improvements to the backend of Canvas, one being how Canvas manages files. Our team recently discovered spaces aren't included in the download files, and they've created an engineering ticket to resolve that behavior. If you would like to be notified with updates, please submit your own help ticket (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) and in the description field request that your ticket be associated with the existing engineering ticket.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lars_vemund_sol
Community Contributor

Hi and welcome to the community,

I've tried replicating the issue but in our case the file names don't get thees + signs.

So i suggest you doublecheck if this is the case for more assignments. If so you should send in an support ticket to maybe get an explanation.

Lars

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@javier1  Welcome  to the Canvas Community! Over the last month, our teams have been making improvements to the backend of Canvas, one being how Canvas manages files. Our team recently discovered spaces aren't included in the download files, and they've created an engineering ticket to resolve that behavior. If you would like to be notified with updates, please submit your own help ticket (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) and in the description field request that your ticket be associated with the existing engineering ticket.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
javier1
Community Member

Hi Stephanie, I did as suggested, I sent a ticket saying that I wanted to be added to the engineering ticket related to the + signs, but I haven't received any information yet. What can I do? Is this going to take a long time? It is really inconvenient having to rename all files to delete the + signs...

laurelp
Community Member

Did you find a solution? I have the same issue...

@javier1 ‌, you should have received an email confirmation of your ticket; you can reply to that email requesting a follow-up on the status.

suzanne_r_david
Community Participant

We are seeing this problem with some files, but not others. We are seeing it with files uploaded by the instructor, which means that if they download a file to make updates (such as if they are on a different computer than the one where they have saved the original file), they cannot just drag the updated file to the Files index page and have it replace the file everywhere it is linked in the course.

This is a big problem for our workflows, as we have an accessibility team that check posted files and if they find problems that they can fix, they remediate and re-upload. The accessibility team members don't know where the files are linked in the course pages.