cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
william_tai
Community Member

Will Canvas work in China?

Jump to solution

If someone is in China for a period of time, will they still be able to access everything that is on Canvas?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tyler_clair
Community Champion

Hi William,

Canvas will work in China, our business department has a teaching partnership with one of the state universities and we have students from China participating in classes. I guess there is the question if it will work outside of the university in China but I am sure that those students are not exclusively using it on the campus. You might be able to use a VPN if your institution has one available, you may need to find out if your security team blocks traffic from China. They are the biggest attacker of our university network so they may also be attacking other educational institutions as well and they may block all traffic originating from China and using your institution VPN may not work.

Best,

Tyler

View solution in original post

17 Replies
tyler_clair
Community Champion

Hi William,

Canvas will work in China, our business department has a teaching partnership with one of the state universities and we have students from China participating in classes. I guess there is the question if it will work outside of the university in China but I am sure that those students are not exclusively using it on the campus. You might be able to use a VPN if your institution has one available, you may need to find out if your security team blocks traffic from China. They are the biggest attacker of our university network so they may also be attacking other educational institutions as well and they may block all traffic originating from China and using your institution VPN may not work.

Best,

Tyler

View solution in original post

RobDitto
Community Champion

I'm curious whether this has changed recently for others. A China-based student in one of our institution's programs has just reported that Canvas is now blocked generally, rather than just media, where he is located.

hallmans
Community Contributor

We have a partner school in Xiamen, China who uses Canvas for their courses and accesses our joint sites. Coincidentally, I was there last week and had no trouble getting to the UNC sites even without VPN.

hallmans
Community Contributor

That said, I couldn't get on Gmail, other Google products or any social media...

pcraig
Community Participant

I traveled to Chongqing and Beijing in 2014 and have several friends who regularly travel to China for work.  While I can't give an answer specific to Canvas, Gmail worked in Chongqing but didn't work in Beijing.  Additionally, services like Google Drive and iTunes worked intermittently in both locations.  This apparently is still the norm after asking a few of my friends who travel there regularly, so it wouldn't surprise me to hear that accessing Canvas in some locations in China works, but not in others and/or is available intermittently.  Steve mentioned VPN, and that was the best workaround for when we needed to access blocked services.

Community Participant

Has anyone found any official documentation/statement from Canvas about which countries their product is available in?

These issues have been coming up more for us as schools within our university develop international programs. Canvas Support and our CSM both link us to the Department of State's list of embargoed countries (US State Department - Policy - Directorate of Defense Trade Controls ) but not much more.

dengpan_huang
Community Participant

我们遇到的最大的问题在于Instructure缺少中文工程师的支持和访问速度。在中国访问canvas非常慢,无法忍受,我们希望Instructure能够在中国境内云服务器上部署canvas。中国有超过百所大学都想尝试使用canvas,但是无法企及,所以他们都在凑合使用SAKAI。如果有工程师能够看到我这段文字就好了。We need chinese support.

如果有中文支持,请联系dengpan.huang@sjtu.edu.cn,详细探讨中国境内使用canvas的尴尬。

拜谢!

我创建了Canvas中文论坛 www.canvaslms.cc,如果有同兴趣的可以一起讨论

admin_nolan
Community Participant

In the last couple of weeks, users who access our Canvas instance from China using our VPN now have limited or no access.  This Jan 2017 article indicates that China is tightening restrictions on VPN connections.

China fortifies Great Firewall with crackdown on VPNs - Jan. 23, 2017 

We're looking at options to see how we can help our students in China.

Kevin

kblack
Community Champion

I, too, have heard of similar instances on our campus, including South Korea, where a faculty member was travelling.   In the latter instance, our network admin did not want to change firewall rules.  I'm not sure what was ultimately worked out.  How institutions have their users login may make a difference, as well.  Those of us with active directory integration will cause (to the end user) Canvas not working from another country if the institution's own firewall blocks activity from that country.