Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
s3683372
Community Member

Word documents into a discussion.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to copy a document into a discussion on canvas and it is not happening, HELP.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @s3683372  Welcome to the Canvas Community! From your profile, I see that you're a student. Are you trying to paste the contents of a Word document into a reply to a discussion? Copying and pasting directly from Word into the Canvas text editor (Rich Content Editor, or RCE) can be problematic, as much unwanted code and formatting can come along with the copy-paste. I always told my students that it's a good idea to use the Clear Formatting icon on the RCE tools ribbon to clear the formatting after they pasted the content and before they saved their replies. The process for clearing formatting is explained in How do I remove formatting copied from another source in the Rich Content Editor? 

If your instructor has enabled attachments to discussion replies, you will see a paper clip attachment icon, and you can then attach the actual document to the reply, following the instructions in How do I attach a file to a discussion reply as a student?‌ If that paper clip is not visible--meaning that the instructor has disabled that capability--please let us know more about the the specifics of what you're trying to do, and what happens when you initiate the copy-paste process, so we can help you troubleshoot this. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @s3683372  Welcome to the Canvas Community! From your profile, I see that you're a student. Are you trying to paste the contents of a Word document into a reply to a discussion? Copying and pasting directly from Word into the Canvas text editor (Rich Content Editor, or RCE) can be problematic, as much unwanted code and formatting can come along with the copy-paste. I always told my students that it's a good idea to use the Clear Formatting icon on the RCE tools ribbon to clear the formatting after they pasted the content and before they saved their replies. The process for clearing formatting is explained in How do I remove formatting copied from another source in the Rich Content Editor? 

If your instructor has enabled attachments to discussion replies, you will see a paper clip attachment icon, and you can then attach the actual document to the reply, following the instructions in How do I attach a file to a discussion reply as a student?‌ If that paper clip is not visible--meaning that the instructor has disabled that capability--please let us know more about the the specifics of what you're trying to do, and what happens when you initiate the copy-paste process, so we can help you troubleshoot this. 

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@s3683372 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie