cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gncrum
Community Contributor

YouTube LTI Embed Display

Jump to solution

Has anyone noticed the YouTube LTI has changed the way videos are embedded and displayed within a module? With the current implementation videos are more vertical and horizontal and no longer span the whole module frame.

Take a look at this screenshot here

I know the workaround is to use the External link option, but, I do remember using the LTI tool in in lieu of the external link because it displayed full frame and looked better....or am I going crazy  :smileyshocked:

Thanks

Greg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gncrum
Community Contributor

Hi Chris!

Thanks for your reply. I opened up a ticket with Instructure yesterday and they got back to me with some workarounds. based on your testing and what I have observed here, I am going to definitely push for this to be viewed as a bug, 

Take care!

Greg

View solution in original post

7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @gncrum ‌...

After doing a bit of testing in my own sandbox course, I can confirm what you are seeing.  These are the steps I took to reproduce what you're seeing (assuming that the YouTube LTI is installed in your own Canvas instance):

1. In "Modules", add a new content item to a module by selecting "External Tool" from the dropdown list.
  2. Choose the YouTube LTI tool.
  3. Search for the video you want to embed, and then click "Embed".
  4. Click the "Add Item" button.
  5. Click on the link that is created in the module to preview the video.

I also tested this by creating a content page and then using the YouTube LTI tool inside the content page.  The YouTube video appeared normally as compared to the steps above.  (I tested this with two different videos...one of which was the one displayed in your screen shot.)  I would recommend that you create a content page and either use the YouTube LTI that way...or as you've also indicated, use the embed code found on the YouTube video's page.

Finally, it may be a good idea to report this to the Canvas Help Desk staff...in the event that something recently changed.  They may be able to track down the cause of this and make a correction in a future Production Release which typically includes bug fixes.

Hope this helps, Greg!

gncrum
Community Contributor

Hi Chris!

Thanks for your reply. I opened up a ticket with Instructure yesterday and they got back to me with some workarounds. based on your testing and what I have observed here, I am going to definitely push for this to be viewed as a bug, 

Take care!

Greg

View solution in original post

jrkinsella
Community Participant

Greg,

Was this accepted as a bug?  We just had this reported to our team and, while developing our training plan, want to make the right recommendation to our faculty (we are a new Canvas customer and are beginning our campus rollout this month.)  @gncrum 

gncrum
Community Contributor

Hi John:

It seems to be fixed. I tried embedding a Youtube video and the video spans the whole embed area and is even responsive.

Here is a screenshot 2017-05-03_08-04-44.png 

-Greg

gncrum
Community Contributor

OK. I might have spoke to soon. I went back into an Old Course where I originally saw the problem and the video was still wacky.

I created a new YouTube LTI with the  same Youtube  video and it was still wacky.

I created a totally new LTI with a video I used from another course where the video was showing correctly and when I placed it in this course and this module, it was wacky again.

Here is Problem course and video

2017-05-03_08-49-05.png 

Again here is the image of it working correctly in another course!

2017-05-03_08-04-44.png 

I will follow up again with Instructure again to get an update. I honestly cannot remember what the original response was.

Thanks!

Greg

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Since I prefer to embed playlists, I prefer to use the embed code supplied by YouTube. Details here:

Notes on YouTube Playlists 

Meanwhile, I just noticed this nifty item from msgarcia‌ with a CSS solution that looks really useful, but i haven't had time to try it yet:

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2017/05/03/embedding-a-youtube-player-with-res... 

I hope there is a solution to the LTI. I guess when I tested it, that was when it was buggy and so I was not happy with the results at all. For all the people who are using the LTI, I hope it gets fixed. 🙂

jrkinsella
Community Participant

Whew!  Good to hear as I tried again this morning and had the same result you had with your problem course and video.

232524_Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 12.34.31 PM.png