cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patricia_estrad
Community Participant

Zoom LTI Error - April Update

Is anyone having trouble with the Zoom LTI integration (specifically with students being able to access the LTI from within a course)? We were informed that Zoom update it's integration into Canvas about two weeks ago and we're setting Zoom up again and ironing out the java errors. Just wondering if anyone noticed something similar?

Thank you

Tags (2)
11 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @patricia_estrad .  Some folks on our campus are using Zoom but we haven't worked with the LTI integration so unfortunately I can't help with the issue you are facing.  However, I am going to share your qeuestion with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=f13571ec-8643-4404-8335-...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=9154440b-f08e-4ec2-8d2d-93f27326343...‌ user groups in hopes someone has useful insight.

Best wishes!

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @patricia_estrad ,

My colleague  @kiran_mohan ‌ has been working with Zoom on this quite closely (the updated LTI), so may have some additional insights. I shall prod him on Monday (Australian time) to see if he can provide any additional insights above what I have here.

Can I please check how you are expecting the LTI to present to students (i.e. when you say they are Accessing the LTI within a course)? One thing that I know currently is that the LTI presentation in the left hand course menu (i.e. to create meetings) is only visible to teachers. As such, students won't be able to create their own meetings (especially within group collaborations). Therefore they only see the links that are created in the Calendar (and anywhere else the academic copies the link or references the calendar item).

Is that what you are experiencing? Or the LTI is presenting to students in the left-hand course menu?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Stuart

Hi Ryan,

We don’t have the LTI set up to launch from the course menu, but from within the module as an external tool. Students are able to start their own sessions as it works just like a personal, native instance of the Zoom app. ☺

-- Patti

Hi @patricia_laun ‌,

Can I please ask for a screenshot of the error you are seeing, I just tried adding Zoom as an item under a module and did not see any issues accessing it. Also, Zoom has two ways of configuring the LTI with Canvas, one using the access tokens and the other is configuring using the dev keys. We have used the configuration with the Dev keys, was curious if you configured the LTI using access tokens or dev keys. Please send me through the error message and I will try to assist you. 

Thanks!!

Kiran. 

Um, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I am having no trouble with Canvas (at least not since maybe the beginning of the year or last year). But everything has been just spiffy since then. Thanks!

Mrs. Pattie Laun

Marriotts Ridge High School

AP Biology & GT Biology

Developer - Consistency - Responsibility - Empathy - Individualization

Um, I really have no idea what you are talking about. I am having no trouble with Canvas (at least not since maybe the beginning of the year or last year). But everything has been just spiffy since then. Thanks!

Mrs. Pattie Laun

Marriotts Ridge High School

AP Biology & GT Biology

Developer - Consistency - Responsibility - Empathy - Individualization

Hi,  @patricia_laun ‌ I am really sorry I tagged you in my post incorrectly. Apologies for the confusion. 

hi  @kiran_mohan ‌ - Since you mentioned setting up the Zoom app w/ either the Developer Key method or the Access Token method, I have a question for you.

We're looking at the Zoom app and I'm examining the integration as our first step in our LTI security process. In the directions/info here: Configuring Zoom App for Canvas – Zoom Help Center  It uses BOTH the Dev Key method and then asks for an Access Token --- which I'm guessing is root/admin level. We're not keen on apps using a root level Access Token, and most Apps are now using the Dev Key method and then asking the user to 'Authorize' and the app will use that user's Access Token (with only those user permissions on the Access Token).

How are you using just a Dev Key method? Does it then prompt the user for their Access Token?

We're about to send our security/API/app questions to Zoom, and knowing if just the Dev Key install is an option would be fabulous.

Additional question - they give direction to set the Privacy option to 'Public' - and we're not keen on that either and prefer using Anonymous. Have you set yours to Anon or know if that is an option?

Thank you, I'm hoping you have a few moments to answer and give insight.

Hi Kiran,

From what we heard back from Zoom, there's only a few cases of this issue happening, so it's not an issue with Canvas at all. We were given a workaround and a fix was going into place over the weekend.

Thank you

Patti