Jump to solution

How do I add a link to an image?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

To make a photo a link to a website, with the Rich Content Editor open, click the photo, then press CTRL+K or APPLE+K. (Another option is to click the link icon in the RCE, near the other options in the toolbox.) A small dialogue box will open, and you can copy/paste the URL inside. Once you press save, the photo will then act as a link.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

bowmanr
Community Champion

@kokorohd @nolanr @jennifer_mille4 @lazar_konforti 

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you want, but here is my procedure:

1) upload the image to the course files area.

3) go to the files area, find the file, and right click on it and copy the url (or whatever your browser calls it)

2) in your assignment type in your text, highlight the text then select the link option from the RCE.

4) Choose external url and paste in the link you copied for the file locatioin.

5) then in edit mode, edit the link and remove download from the end (otherwise it will prompt for download location - or it did for me) 

6) image comes up in its own window.  If that is not desirable, I guess you can go into html mode and modify the attributes for the link. i.e. target=_self or target=_parent

I hope that helps with a starting process.

5 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

To make a photo a link to a website, with the Rich Content Editor open, click the photo, then press CTRL+K or APPLE+K. (Another option is to click the link icon in the RCE, near the other options in the toolbox.) A small dialogue box will open, and you can copy/paste the URL inside. Once you press save, the photo will then act as a link.

I hope this helps!

lazar_konforti
Community Participant

What about a self-generated image? Is there a way to link to an image that's hosted on Canvas itself? Canvas only appears to be able to insert an image. If I just want a link, I have to use an external image hosting site and then link to it. This is a problem since I do not with to post images specific to my course on non-secure pubic image-hosting fora. A workaround is to use my private Dropbox or Google Drive, but this strikes me as supremely silly. There should be a simple way to include a link to a course file instead of embedding the image in the message or announcement. 

nolanr
Community Participant

I second this. I just came across this issue. I don't want to imbed images in my "page."

kokorohd
Community Member

Same here. I want to create a link to an image in an assignment. I don't want to embed the image on the page. 

bowmanr
Community Champion

@kokorohd @nolanr @jennifer_mille4 @lazar_konforti 

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you want, but here is my procedure:

1) upload the image to the course files area.

3) go to the files area, find the file, and right click on it and copy the url (or whatever your browser calls it)

2) in your assignment type in your text, highlight the text then select the link option from the RCE.

4) Choose external url and paste in the link you copied for the file locatioin.

5) then in edit mode, edit the link and remove download from the end (otherwise it will prompt for download location - or it did for me) 

6) image comes up in its own window.  If that is not desirable, I guess you can go into html mode and modify the attributes for the link. i.e. target=_self or target=_parent

I hope that helps with a starting process.