cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie_ohrenberg
Community Member

add students to a section

Jump to solution

trying to add students to a section - people option in menu is grayed out and not accessible

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
megan_staab
Community Participant

That's where I think I'm stuck.  When I do the "+ People" button, student is not an option for the Role.  I may need to check with my Canvas admin on this one.  Thanks for all of your help!

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@julie_ohrenberg , depending on how the role permissions are set at your school, you may or may not have the necessary permission to add users to your course; the school may populate the courses via SIS imports. Refer to this guide for specifics: How do I add students to my course? :

If your institution uses SIS Imports, you do not need to add any users who are part of your institution's records for the course. They will be added to the course by your admin.

Note: Adding students is a course permission. If you cannot add students to your course, your institution has restricted this feature.

So your best course of action is to check with the Canvas admin at your school to see if they want you to add students to your course or if they are going to do it for you.

@julie_ohrenberg ​ sent me this reply by email; I'm reproducing it here for the sake of completeness.

Stephanie - the students have been added to the course - all 163 of them. I am teaching 7 sections of the course and I am supposed to move the students to their sections manually and can't see how to do that.  I don't know whether it's been restricted or not because I am not sure how to do it.

Julie Ohrenberg

Project Lead the Way

Bingham Middle School

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@julie_ohrenberg ​, when the students were added to your course, were they added in one fell swoop or have sections already been created in your course (or by SIS)? If you don't yet have sections in your course, you first need to create the sections by navigating to your Settings tab and adding sections. Instructions for accomplishing that are here: How do I add a section to my course?

Once you've added the sections, you should be able to navigate to the People tab and place the students in their respective sections by clicking on the Gear icon that appears to the right of each student's name. It's a roundabout and more time-consuming way to do it, to be sure; I've made this mistake before, and if I were to do it again, I'd create the sections first and then add the students by section. This guide will help you with that: How do I add students to a course section?

BTW, I don't know why the People tab is inaccessible; the fact that it is greyed out only means that the tab is not enabled for students. If you can't click on it to access the list of users in your course, I would suggest going the Help ticket route by clicking on the Help button at the upper right of the Canvas screen and selecting the "Report a Problem" option.

And, are you familiar with the dedicated space for Project Lead the Way​? Posting your question there might garner responses from others who've encountered the same issue.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@julie_ohrenberg ​ emailed me the resolution:

Thanks so much for your help - I think I got it!!

We didn't have any choice about the way the students were uploaded - they just did all of the kids at once - didn't divide them into sections....

Julie Ohrenberg

Project Lead the Way

Bingham Middle School

Stefanie -  Above is what I see when I go to the Manage Students page.  The student names were all uploaded by someone in our Central Office.
I clicked on the upper right that now says This Class Is Enrolled in the LMS.  Was that a mistake?
When I go to the Courses and Groups page and find the Course - Design and Modeling 2015 JOhrenberg (my name), and click on Settings on the lower left, I see my sections
listed like this.  I either screwed up bigtime or am still just not seeing it.  Where do I go from here?

Course Sections

Add a New Section:*

Julie Ohrenberg

Project Lead the Way

Bingham Middle School

Hi Stefanie,

I tried to follow these steps, but am having some difficulty.  I am an ITF in the schools, so I do not have an assigned set of students.   My 5th grade departmentalizes, so my teacher I am working with has 3 blocks.  I have made a course, added the 3 different sections, and then posted the link on my website for the students to join.  I was hoping when they joined, they would have to choose their block, but that wasn't the case.  When I go to "people", the students do not have a gear out to the left of their names.  I am assuming this is because they were not added via email.  Is there a way for me to separate them into their appropriate blocks?  Thanks!

@megan_staab , as far as I'm aware students can't self-sign up into different sections (or be assigned to different sections after the fact). Are the students in these sections already in Canvas? If so, then you (or a Canvas admin) should be able to add the student using the "Add Student" button under People. When you add the student you can specify which "block" (section) they should be added to.

megan_staab
Community Participant

Thank you, Kona.   Yes, the students are already in Canvas but they do not have email addresses.  I'm not sure how else to add them.  Any advice?

They should have login names and SID ID's, correct? If so, then you should also be able to add them by either login name or SIS ID. I just tried and they both work.

megan_staab
Community Participant

Where did you go to add the students by SID?   When I try to add them, there are  multiple roles to choose from, but none that leave them as a student.  Sorry this is such a pain!