adding students to course

Jump to solution
JulieBallowe
Community Member

when adding students to the course, are they required to have an educational email address?

0 Likes
3 Solutions
SusanNiemeyer
Community Contributor

At my college, students must have school email addresses. We are not able to them to our Canvas courses ourselves. The students' enrollment in Canvas is determined by their class registration in SIS.

View solution in original post

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JulieBallowe ...

Similar to @SusanNiemeyer, our students are given a student e-mail address at our school when they decide to attend our Technical College.  That e-mail address is the primary address that is used to create a Canvas account for them.  Students can, however, add an additional e-mail address to their Canvas account if they want to also be notified about things in Canvas not only to their school-issued account but to their personal e-mail account, too.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

With Free For Teachers accounts, there are no requirements for registering with an email address. While you can recommend a school address (if the student has one), any email address will work when registering for a course!

It is really neat how many different ways Canvas can be used in various contexts! There's a lot of flexibility, and it's open to the institution, school, or FFT user to leverage the tools. 🙂

How do I add users to a course? 

How do I enable course self-enrollment with a join code or secret URL?