chsidden
Community Participant

adding users

Jump to solution

what is the max number of users that can be added at 1 time

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

There isn't a practical limit.  We have had courses with 1000s of students, but if you are venturing into that territory, check out

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@chsidden ​, can you provide some specifics of your use case? Are you a teacher or an admin (or both)? Are you asking about adding users to an account or a course? Are you adding users using .csv upload, SIS integration, or are you manually typing in names and email addresses? Having as much information as possible will help us answer your question or direct it to the right expert for further evaluation.

chsidden
Community Participant

I am trying to add as a teacher students to a course.  I was just wondering how many email addresses that I could put into the box and add at 1 time.  I have a lot of students and wanted to know what the upper limit was.  I just needed to know if to break them into groups or can I do all at once?

@chsidden ​, I've checked around with a few long-term Canvas users and no one has ever run into a maximum for manual additions of users to a course. Also, when I'm adding large numbers of students, I like to add them in smaller groups and diagnose issues as they occur, rather than doing it in one fell swoop--but that's a personal preference and doesn't answer your direct question. One of our experts is going to do some digging and get back to us on this. In the meantime, can you quantify what you mean by "a lot of students"?

There isn't a practical limit.  We have had courses with 1000s of students, but if you are venturing into that territory, check out

View solution in original post

Stephanie:

My experience has not shown a limit, and we just added all our faculty into one shell, manually, for training purposes.

However, like you, I do it in smaller batches of about 20 or so because typos happenSmiley Wink

chsidden
Community Participant

I would say about 2000 or more.

Ouchie!

For 2,000 I would break out Excel and create a CSV upload file. I'm too typo-prone for a manual listing of 2,000:smileysilly: