cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quinn_hashimoto
Community Member

allowing students to upload

Jump to solution

How do I allow my students to upload files into the files tab?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

HI  @quinn_hashimoto  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  There is no way to allow students to upload files to the course Files area.  That is designed for instructors only insofar as adding something there.  (Students can obviously view/download them, of course.)

You have a couple of alternatives for files that you want students to upload:

• Create an online assignment that requires a file upload. This will be private upload, however, between just you and the student. No one will see the upload or the student's file, unless you later choose to add it to Files yourself after the student submits it.
  • A more likely solution--and one many faculty will do--is create a Discussion, being careful to enable the option to allow file uploads to your Discussions area.  This way, the entire class will see each other's files.  This is usually the most common solution, based on my own experience of reading similar questions in this Community.
  • Create student groups, which will have a separate Files area for group members.  In theory, you could create a group and add all students to that group by allowing Canvas to automatically populate the group and selecting just 1 group to create.  All students will therefore be in the group.  However, be aware that student groups, by default, have just a 50MB file space limit.  Another downside to this option is that while students can add files they can just as easily delete files from the group space.

Overall, the best option is likely to do this via Discussions.  While not quite as easy to scan through as the Files area, Discussions is the one area in Canvas where everyone in the class can see each other's contributions.

I hope this helps a bit, Quinn.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

HI  @quinn_hashimoto  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  There is no way to allow students to upload files to the course Files area.  That is designed for instructors only insofar as adding something there.  (Students can obviously view/download them, of course.)

You have a couple of alternatives for files that you want students to upload:

• Create an online assignment that requires a file upload. This will be private upload, however, between just you and the student. No one will see the upload or the student's file, unless you later choose to add it to Files yourself after the student submits it.
  • A more likely solution--and one many faculty will do--is create a Discussion, being careful to enable the option to allow file uploads to your Discussions area.  This way, the entire class will see each other's files.  This is usually the most common solution, based on my own experience of reading similar questions in this Community.
  • Create student groups, which will have a separate Files area for group members.  In theory, you could create a group and add all students to that group by allowing Canvas to automatically populate the group and selecting just 1 group to create.  All students will therefore be in the group.  However, be aware that student groups, by default, have just a 50MB file space limit.  Another downside to this option is that while students can add files they can just as easily delete files from the group space.

Overall, the best option is likely to do this via Discussions.  While not quite as easy to scan through as the Files area, Discussions is the one area in Canvas where everyone in the class can see each other's contributions.

I hope this helps a bit, Quinn.

View solution in original post