Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julian_brownm8

allowing webcam and microphone access?

Jump to solution

How do I allow Canvas to access my microphone and webcam so that I can record video messages? I am using a Macbook Pro, and Chrome browser?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
susan_loitz

I also need an answer to this question.  I have audio but am unable to turn on the webcam in studio.  My options are HD facetime camera or no video.  Choosing HD facetime camera stays selected but does not turn on the webcam.  I am on a macbook pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
alexander_mitch
Community Member

What version of Mac OS are you on?

Catalina has additional security permissions that need to be enabled for microphone/video/screen-recording.

1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy
  2. Make sure that the "Screen Recorder" app has a check next to it in the categories you find it.

El Capitan seems to also have some issues, probably just because it's an older version.

I hope that's at least a little helpful?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread in recent days. For updates on the progress toward resolution, please subscribe to the Known Issue document:   Unable to record media with Record/Upload Media to... -  

23 Replies
susan_loitz

I also need an answer to this question.  I have audio but am unable to turn on the webcam in studio.  My options are HD facetime camera or no video.  Choosing HD facetime camera stays selected but does not turn on the webcam.  I am on a macbook pro.

0 Kudos
alexander_mitch
Community Member

What version of Mac OS are you on?

Catalina has additional security permissions that need to be enabled for microphone/video/screen-recording.

1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy
  2. Make sure that the "Screen Recorder" app has a check next to it in the categories you find it.

El Capitan seems to also have some issues, probably just because it's an older version.

I hope that's at least a little helpful?

I'm also having this problem in Announcements, when trying to record a video.

I'm using the same setup I've been using for over a year, but as of last week (July 2021) I'm getting a message saying, "Something went wrong accessing your webcam." I'm on a MacBook Pro, OS 10.13.6, Chrome browser, using a headset with a built-in mic that is plugged in (not wireless). I have checked the Settings, and Canvas is given access to my camera. 

Why has this stopped working when I haven't changed what I'm doing? Any suggestions?

@MargaretSamu  Even though you haven't changed anything in your setup, it might help to re-do the troubleshooting steps outlined in the Chrome Security section of   What are the browser and computer requirements for... 

Thank you for this, @Stef_retired 

I checked the browser and computer requirements, as you suggested, and found that everything checked out. The Security section was fine, and Canvas does have access to both my mic and my camera. 

In the end, I am able to use the mic just fine, as before, but I am no longer able to use the camera to make an Announcement in Canvas. This remains an Unsolved Mystery.

@MargaretSamu  Thanks for following up. Are you able to access the camera through the Rich Content Editor in other parts of Canvas, or is the problem confined to Announcements?

Thank you, @Stef_retired 

I just tested my camera using Pages, and the same thing happened:

I went to Record/Upload Media in the Rich Content Editor and it seems as if I am recording the video--the countdown clock, the camera shows my face--then when I hit "Save" a window pops up that says, "Something went wrong accessing your webcam."

Someone responded to me directly to ask about my OS. I am using Mac OS High Sierra, version 10.13.6, and Chrome Version 92.0.4515.107, which checks out with the requirements for Canvas. 

This is tricky to troubleshoot from afar, @MargaretSamu . I assume that you're using the device's internal camera and that you are able to access the camera from other applications. If my assumptions are accurate, I recommend trying the latest version of Firefox first; if that doesn't work, perform a massive clearing of cache and cookies on the device, reboot it, and try one more time. Ultimately you might need to contact the IT Support Desk at your school for assistance, but I'm hopeful that a different browser works.

MargaretSamu

Thank you, @Stef_retired 

Was there an update of Canvas that might have caused this change? I'm just curious why it might have stopped working when nothing has changed on my end. I don't recall when the last update of Canvas happened, but that might have changed how it cooperates with Chrome--?