cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfrye
Community Member

assignment due the next day

Jump to solution

I would love to make assignments simply "due next class period" instead of having to set dates each time.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

dfrye, you've gotten some good recommendations here as to what can be done within the parameters of a learning management system. However, since your school requires due dates on assignments, you will need to adjust the settings of each assignment to conform with the next class period, whatever that might be for you. Ordinarily I would recommend submitting a feature idea for something of this nature, but I have to agree with  @kmeeusen ​'s observation, namely that Canvas cannot possibly know when your (or any other teacher's) next class period is being held.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Without knowing when the next class period is, this would be a difficult trick for Canvas.

Have you considered simply not creating a due date, and adding that it is due tomorrow to the assignment instructions?

kedgecomb
Community Champion

I agree!  And...if you are in the higher ed community, often times an instructor has the same class repeated over the course of day or week! 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

dfrye​...

Checking in with you.  Would  @kmeeusen ​'s solution meet your needs?  Please let us know...thanks!

dfrye
Community Member

At our school, the due date is required so it shows up on the student¹s

calendar. So just putting the info in the assignment title is not enough.

Debby Frye

Math Faculty

The Out-of-Door Academy

tel: 941-554-5968

fax: 941-907-1251

web: www.oda.edu <http://www.oda.edu/>

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

dfrye, you've gotten some good recommendations here as to what can be done within the parameters of a learning management system. However, since your school requires due dates on assignments, you will need to adjust the settings of each assignment to conform with the next class period, whatever that might be for you. Ordinarily I would recommend submitting a feature idea for something of this nature, but I have to agree with  @kmeeusen ​'s observation, namely that Canvas cannot possibly know when your (or any other teacher's) next class period is being held.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

dfrye​, would it help if you had the ability to update all of your assignment due dates on one page? If so, then you might want to check out this relatively easy work-around  @James ​ posted - Adjust all assignment due dates on a single page. Along with this if you are interested in cascading due dates, you could check out James' comment on this post - .

Hope this helps!