cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
christina_welch
Community Participant

asynchronous meeting

Hi,

I need to hold an asynchronous meeting for my students.

I need the students at the meeting to read several documents, and I need an area for them to post comments anonymously. On Moodle this was possible via a wiki but I am struggling to find anything in canvas - can anyone help.

This meeting can't be public but does need to be available to all my students (so covers various modules/courses).

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tina

11 Replies
brueckert
Community Champion

Hi Christina,

My first thought is to use the Pages feature as permissions can be set to allow students to edit. You could structure the page to include links, then build out an area for anonymous comments below. Pages can function nearly identical to a wiki in this respect.

A clarification though: do you need students in multiple separate courses to have access to the page? This might be problematic as they would have to be enrolled in the course where the page resides in order to see it - unless the course was made public, which you said wasn't desired.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@christina_welch ​, I haven't used it myself, but I've heard great things about Piazza.  It's a free third party application that integrates with Canvas - Edu App Center. It offers a wiki style conversation (that's anonymous) format that might work well for what you're wanting.

christina_welch
Community Participant

Thanks but apparently that is a pay-for app so I am unable to use it. Shame eh

I have somewhere that students on multiple courses can go to for this asynchronous meeting. I have am still struggling with Pages as it seems to just end up as a long page. What I am looking for is somewhere I can post an agenda and then students can click on each item to see the information - keeps it all neat. Then on one page they can add their comments.

On Moodle the wiki feature was perfect but Canvas just don't seem to so that; I can't even find a wiki option

But thanks though

@christina_welch , I suggest you look into Prulu. A year or two ago, I integrated it into one of my courses just to try it out, and it was absolutely free, although I did need to have an email exchange with the very helpful people at Prulu to obtain a consumer key and secret. When creating a post, the student has the option to check a box that allows him or her to post anonymously to a discussion.

Prulu looks beautiful in Canvas. You can add a customized link to the left navigation that reads however you want it to read, and the discussion forum opens in the right pane, just as if it's an integral part of Canvas.

Many thanks for this. I will definitely take a look

Kind regards

Christina

Hi  @christina_welch ​...

I'm curious to know where you've seen that you have to pay for this app?  When I go to their webiste, Piazza • Ask. Answer. Explore. Whenever., it says at the top of the screen "completely free Q&A platform".  We have have the Pizaaz LTI app installed on our Canvas Instance for maybe a year now, and there weren't any fees to set it up.

Regarding the ability to post anonymously,  @kona ​ is right.  In the settings for Piazza, there is this option:

PiazzaSettings.jpg

I've only used Piazza a little bit (we used it for some communication between my team and Instructure when we were first getting started with Canvas).  It worked well for Q&A.

Hope this helps!!!

christina_welch
Community Participant

That is interesting as the IT people at my end told me that they would not contact Piazza for the codes as it would require payment. Maybe I will email them directly for the codes I need to access their app.

I am currently using Discussions which sort of works but it rather clunky.

I'm really grateful for this information

Shhhh,  @christina_welch ​, don't tell anyone, but when I set up Prulu in my test course I bypassed my support people altogether. Smiley Wink I simply contacted the people at Prulu, who were exceptionally helpful, as I mentioned earlier, and managed the configuration myself.

In all seriousness, my understanding of how EduApps are meant to work is that if the apps are available to you at the course level in your Apps Center (as both Prulu and Piazza are available in mine), they're yours to use or not use or configure or not configure as you see fit--so contacting Piazza directly to get the configuration codes should theoretically be fine. Piazza's website says that it's "incredibly easy" and "completely free": Piazza • Ask. Answer. Explore. Whenever.