cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
domino
Community Member

blog from profile,with permissions

Jump to solution

I’d like to make a blog summarising informal teaching meetings for my colleagues to read (rather than clogging up their email with meeting minutes). I only want it to be visible to staff- not the public or students. One option is to use the ePortfolio section in Canvas and then send around a link to staff in order that they can access it. But it would be better if they could click through from my profile. This raises a couple of questions I haven't yet figured out the answers to:

Can you search for people through the site any how? (I have colleagues who I don't share courses with, but whose profiles it would be good to see).

Is it possible to have an ePortfolio visible on my profile page, so that staff can search for me, then click through (but only staff can click through, not students)? That way I wouldn’t have to send a link regularly, people would just know where to go. It would also be good if they could opt to get updates from the ePortfolio.

Suggestions most welcome!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Reading through your desired workflow it sounds like an Account Group (How do I create groups in an account? ) would be an ideal solution for you.  You can have pages, discussions, notifications, etc... and it can all be limited to added group members (e.g. teachers).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Reading through your desired workflow it sounds like an Account Group (How do I create groups in an account? ) would be an ideal solution for you.  You can have pages, discussions, notifications, etc... and it can all be limited to added group members (e.g. teachers).

View solution in original post

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Thanks,  @dwahl_sales , for reminding me that  @chofer ​ wrote a blog post about this very thing: Paper Pumpkin - Campus Clubs and Groups

Brilliant- thank you!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi domino...

Have you considered requesting a Private Group here in the Canvas Community?  Several months ago, I got in touch with one of the Community Managers, and she set up a Private Group space for our entire Technical College.  We have it set up so that our faculty have to request to join the group.  We then approve or reject those requests.  Inside of our Private Group space, we can do pretty much anything that you can do in other parts of this website...blogging, creating documents, asking questions, creating polls, etc.  It's been nice for us because it's a space that we can share ideas and collaborate with others at our Technical College.  I'm still working to try and get more participants so that our space is active, though.

domino
Community Member

Another good idea- thank you.