cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolpeabody
Community Participant

bulk publishing and unpublishing of modules, assignments, files

Jump to solution

Is it possible to publish all the assignments and all the files within a module at the same time, or to publish or unpublish all the modules within a course at the same time?

I've recently copied a course's contents into a new course, and am trying to unpublish everything.  Is it necessary to click on the unpublish button for each individual item or is there a more efficient way of getting this accomplished?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@carolpeabody  

I'm sorry you didn't get a super quick answer on this.  And  @twassmer  I hope this will help you as well.

How do I use Draft State in Modules? is the guide that covers publishing and unpublishing modules.  I believe this specific section is what you are looking for clarity on?  

Please be aware that the status of the Module overrides the state of module items. If an item is published within an unpublished module, students cannot view the item on the Modules page but they can still view the published items in other areas of Canvas.

If you are seeking more advanced features in module publishing and unpublishing you may want to comment or vote on https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6173-publish-unpublish-all-option 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
carolpeabody
Community Participant

So, I am guessing the answer is "No"?  Is this something anyone else would find useful?

twassmer
Community Participant

I would also appreciate this. It is quite a long list of assignments that I do not all want to be published when I publish the course.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@carolpeabody  

I'm sorry you didn't get a super quick answer on this.  And  @twassmer  I hope this will help you as well.

How do I use Draft State in Modules? is the guide that covers publishing and unpublishing modules.  I believe this specific section is what you are looking for clarity on?  

Please be aware that the status of the Module overrides the state of module items. If an item is published within an unpublished module, students cannot view the item on the Modules page but they can still view the published items in other areas of Canvas.

If you are seeking more advanced features in module publishing and unpublishing you may want to comment or vote on https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6173-publish-unpublish-all-option 

View solution in original post

I would also appreciate a less tedious way of unpublishing a large number of items within a module without having to visit each individually with multiple key clicks for each and every one of them. Some along the notion of a multiple disjoint select, then unpublish those selected items. It's too easy to publish everything within a module with a single click (publish the module); less easy to undo that.

Tags (1)
winnie_milner
Community Participant

I am a Canvas admin I find myself helping staff by importing content from previously taught courses within departments and from teachers who have left the district. Teachers love this Canvas capability.  However, when this is done with previously taught courses, the content is typically still published. There needs to be a quick and easy way to unpublish many items at one time. Of course we can unpublish at the Module level, but the individual assignments and other course content are all still published allowing people to still see it in the individual course navigation indexes like "assignments" & "Quizzes." This can be fixed-ish by eliminating those index pages from navigation, but it still greatly clunks up the gradebook. Ugh. I wish there were an additional button next to the original button to publish & unpublish on each module. This second toggle button could act as a bit of an override and not only unpublish the module, but also unpublish everything within the module. 

Tags (1)