cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimberly_king
Community Member

can an assignment be either paper submission OR online submission?

can an assignment be either paper submission OR online submission?

8 Replies
BStutzman
Community Contributor

Hi  @king_kimberly_d !  I understand your question and I have run into this myself.  What I do in this situation is make the assignment an online submission assignment and then if students choose to do it on paper I simply give them a grade in the gradebook by hand.  I am guessing that is what is at the heart of your question because it will look like those who didn't turn it in online are missing the assignment.  If you go into the grade detail tray you can change the status so that they don't have that missing label attached to their paper assignment.  I hope this makes sense!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Something else you can do is allow for text box entry on the assignment and those who submit paper can post to the text box on this assignment that they are submitting on paper. It’s kind of a work around, but it also makes it clear to you whose paper you should have and whose is on Canvas. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@king_kimberly_d ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

fahy
Community Participant

My situation is the opposite of the one described by Belinda.  I have assignments that are done on paper, but if a student cannot attend class (sickness, religious holiday, traveling with a school team, etc.) I would like them to be able to scan or take a photo of the assignment and submit it online.  I don;t want the vast majority of students who submit on paper to also have to submit a posting in a text box online.

Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @fahy and thanks for raising this scenario.

Perhaps in this case just assign the assignment to the students who require the ability to submit on line rather than the whole class.

Would that work for you?

fahy
Community Participant

it would work, but it would require creating two versions of almost every assignment.  Right now I just have them send me an email with the scanned/photographed copy of the assignment attached. That is much easier than creating two copies of the assignment, and works OK.  I would just like to be able to do everthying inside Canvas rather than resorting to email.  Being able to select online OR on paper in Canvas would be ideal. 

Donna_NZ
Community Member

We have had some students who have had difficulty uploading material, so have emailed to tutors. We have concluded that we can mark in the gradebook, and then upload the document to the course files, but make sure they are unpublished so that they are not visible to anyone except teachers and admins on the course.

armstronge1
Community Member

As a UDL best practice, multiple means of expression should be easy in canvas rather than having to do an workaround.  Please create a way for students to submit either on paper OR online.