Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barbaracoen
Community Contributor

can teachers/trainers take surveys?

Jump to solution

Hi,

Has anyone found a way that teachers/trainers can complete a survey on Canvas?  We have a number of trainers on one of our programs and I want to survey them but I can't find a way as surveys are limited to students.  I was hoping groups would work but again ... limited to students.

Anyone done this?
Thanks

Barbara

#surveys

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @barbaracoen  

Teachers can be given a student role in a course, and you can learn how at How do I edit user roles in a course? 

However, I think the best results could be obtained by embedding a GoogleForm survey in the course. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva... 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @barbaracoen 
From your description I'm assuming that the survey has been created in the same course where the users are teachers. A user's role in Canvas can vary from one course to the next, for example you could be a student in one course and a teacher in another course. Have you considered creating a separate Canvas course just for your surveys? Enrol your users as students on this course and they will be able to take the survey. Their teacher role in other courses should have no effect on what they can do in this course.

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @barbaracoen  

Teachers can be given a student role in a course, and you can learn how at How do I edit user roles in a course? 

However, I think the best results could be obtained by embedding a GoogleForm survey in the course. Learn more at https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva... 

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

barbaracoen
Community Contributor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply - I have considered this but didn't want to have to enrol them in a separate course just to complete a survey once or twice a year.  I was hoping someone might have found a way of doing it within the same course.  I guess I could enrol them as a student in the same course also, but worried how that might impact notifications or might confuse them.

Thanks
Barbara

barbaracoen
Community Contributor

Thanks Kelly, I've tried the enrolling teacher as a student and while it can work, overall I think it will end up causing confusion.

I will try the Google FormSurvey ... thank you!

Barbara