canvas studio annotations vanish : please advise

Jump to solution
StevenWray
Community Member

I have made a video in Canvas studio, and put annotations on it. However, when I download the video, or when I link to it from the class canvas page, the annotations are lost / not shown.

maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe Studio is doing something wrong, but I need my students to be able to view my recording with the annotations.

Please advise

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @StevenWray ...

Unfortunately, I was not able to replicate what you have described for my own videos in my Studio library.  For example, I tried annotating a YouTube video by clicking on the "Studio" icon on the left-hand global navigation menu.  I added an annotation to the video around the 30-second mark.

How do I add annotations to my media in Canvas Stu... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Then, I logged into my own sandbox course, created a new course page, and embedded the Studio video on the page:

How do I embed Canvas Studio media in a Canvas cou... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I even tried embedded the video with and without the "Display Media Tabs" toggle switch enabled.

Once I saved the page, I watched the video both using my own role and as the "Test Student", and the annotation appeared as expected.

You also mentioned that you had downloaded the video and were not seeing the captions.  Downloading (saving the video to your computer...assuming that this was an original video you created) does not also download the annotations.  It seems to me that the annotations is another "layer" on top of the video.  For example, if you had two sheets of paper stacked on top of one another, the bottom sheet is the video, and the top sheet contains any annotations.  When you download the video, you're only downloading the video file...not the annotations.

Hopefully some of this will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes