Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon_whitehous

change notification settings for all students in a course

Jump to solution

Is it possible to alter the default notification settings for all students, observers etc on a course centrally - ie by the teacher/instructor - rather than having to ask the students to do so themselves?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @simon_whitehous  and welcome to the Canvas Community!  There is no way I am aware of for a teacher/instructor to change the notification settings for students or observers in his/her class.  These are designed to be determined by an individual user, perhaps in part because this impacts notification for all courses in Canvas, not just that of a particular instructor.  I believe that administrators can alter defaults for their institution, but other than this it is something that must be done by a user herself/himself.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @simon_whitehous  and welcome to the Canvas Community!  There is no way I am aware of for a teacher/instructor to change the notification settings for students or observers in his/her class.  These are designed to be determined by an individual user, perhaps in part because this impacts notification for all courses in Canvas, not just that of a particular instructor.  I believe that administrators can alter defaults for their institution, but other than this it is something that must be done by a user herself/himself.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

nschutz
Community Member

It appears that notification preferences can be updated via API. See discussion here

You will need to masquerade as the user to execute the update call. 

rislis
Community Champion

Do you know where the Canvas Admin would do this?

Thanks!