cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daria_minina

conditional grading

Jump to solution

Hello!

I need to grade 3 exams, but to choose top 2 at the end for total grading (so it will be possible to replace one of midterm exams with the final exam score in the computation of the overall course score). Is there any tools for conditional grading?

Thank you!

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are stating that the final exam could be counted twice, but that the final exam grade will count regardless of what else happens in the Final Exam group, correct?  In that case, you would create a separate Assignment Group for the Final Exam that contains ONLY the Final Exam.  We have instructors who do that all the time with weighted grades...they create an Assignment Group with but one assignment in it.  You can then go ahead an add yet another assignment called Final Exam to your "mid-term" quizzes group.  Canvas doesn't care if you have two Assignments named the same thing...the only point of confusion will be for you in the Gradebook.

However, when you score the Final (assuming it's not an online quiz) you will have to do double-entry.  Once for the Final Exam that is in the Final Exam group, and again for the Final Exam that is in the group with the dropped grade.  Even though they are named the same thing, Canvas will not "automatically" calculate the score for you based on the first score input.

I have what I hope is what you are after in the form of a few screen captures.  Here is my ASSIGNMENTS page:

assignments page.jpg

The first group, Mid-Term Exams, consists of Quiz One, Quiz Two, and the Final Exam.  My rule in that group is to drop the lowest score from that group.  The second group, Final Exam, has no "drop" rule.  Obviously, the Final Exam must be worth the same number of points (50, in my example) in each group.  For the sake of this example, each group is 50% of the final grade.

So, after the student takes the Final, I input the grade twice in the Gradebook--once for each final.  However, as the screen capture of my Gradebook below shows, the dropped score (seen in Canvas with gray hash marks, by the way) could very well be for the final in the Mid-Term Exams group, as it is for the very first student:  Wile E. Coyote.  However, notice that NONE of the "Final Exam" scores in the last column are dropped, since that's for the Final Exam that was in the group with no dropping rules.

final grades.jpg

The main issue, of course, will be instructor sanity!  (And perhaps the student's, as well, with seeing two things named Final Exam.)

Is this what you were after?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @daria_minina ​ -

The easiest way to do this in Canvas is by using Assignment Groups, as described here:  How do I add an assignment group in a course?   You would put all three of your exams into that assignment group, but then create a rule to drop the lowest grade, as described here:  How do I create rules for an assignment group?    So far example, you can create a group called EXAMS and make that group xx% of the grade (another benefit of assignment groups), and then create a rule to drop the lowest grade.

Unless I'm completely misinterpreting your question, that should do it!  Hope this helps.

Thank you!

I have another question -

we need to drop the lowest exams score form two midterm exams and final exam. So, it is assumed that final exam might be calculated twice. How to duplicate the final exam in two assignments groups, so that in is accounted for in selecting top two results and accounted separately in Final exam assignment group?

Thank you for help!

Daria

kblack
Community Champion

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you are stating that the final exam could be counted twice, but that the final exam grade will count regardless of what else happens in the Final Exam group, correct?  In that case, you would create a separate Assignment Group for the Final Exam that contains ONLY the Final Exam.  We have instructors who do that all the time with weighted grades...they create an Assignment Group with but one assignment in it.  You can then go ahead an add yet another assignment called Final Exam to your "mid-term" quizzes group.  Canvas doesn't care if you have two Assignments named the same thing...the only point of confusion will be for you in the Gradebook.

However, when you score the Final (assuming it's not an online quiz) you will have to do double-entry.  Once for the Final Exam that is in the Final Exam group, and again for the Final Exam that is in the group with the dropped grade.  Even though they are named the same thing, Canvas will not "automatically" calculate the score for you based on the first score input.

I have what I hope is what you are after in the form of a few screen captures.  Here is my ASSIGNMENTS page:

assignments page.jpg

The first group, Mid-Term Exams, consists of Quiz One, Quiz Two, and the Final Exam.  My rule in that group is to drop the lowest score from that group.  The second group, Final Exam, has no "drop" rule.  Obviously, the Final Exam must be worth the same number of points (50, in my example) in each group.  For the sake of this example, each group is 50% of the final grade.

So, after the student takes the Final, I input the grade twice in the Gradebook--once for each final.  However, as the screen capture of my Gradebook below shows, the dropped score (seen in Canvas with gray hash marks, by the way) could very well be for the final in the Mid-Term Exams group, as it is for the very first student:  Wile E. Coyote.  However, notice that NONE of the "Final Exam" scores in the last column are dropped, since that's for the Final Exam that was in the group with no dropping rules.

final grades.jpg

The main issue, of course, will be instructor sanity!  (And perhaps the student's, as well, with seeing two things named Final Exam.)

Is this what you were after?

Yes, this is exactly my case!

Thank you!