Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmed_fayrouz
Community Member

conference details

Jump to solution

hello 

I have a course held on Canvas and I need more details about conferences on it

Can a new student added to canvas listen to recorded conference prior to his entrance ??

how can  I keep recorded conference available for months to student to hear it

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Fayrouz,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  And while I work at Blindside Networks (the company that provides hosting for BigBlueButton) and can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

> Can a new student added to canvas listen to recorded conference prior to his entrance ??

Unfortunately not.  There is an access control list for every conference (and its associated recordings), an only students where were invited at the time the conference was created would be able to see the associated recordings.

There are a few more options in the Premium Tier hosting for Canvas Conferences (which has permanent recordings) in that you can share the recording links with other students.  (Reach out to your Canvas Rep for more details if you want to upgrade).

Sorry I couldn't give you a positive answer on this one.  The access control list is there to ensure only the students who could have joined the conference can see the associated recordings.  The long-term solution would be to add an option where you could modify a recording an make it public to all students in the class.

Others have asked for a similar capability, and while I can't make any promises for 2019, it's definitely one of the items for consideration as we work on enhancing Canvas Conferences interface.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

(I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, ahmed_fayrouz Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  I don't know all the answers to your question, so I will tag  @ffdixon ‌ ... as he should be able to address things with more certainty that I can.  Regarding recorded Conferences, if you are using the free version of BigBlueButton, those are only stored for 14 days.  Your school would need pay in order to keep recordings around for longer than that.  More information can be found at the top of this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13090-4152117864 

I hope this information will be helpful to you, Fayrouz.

ffdixon
Community Champion

Hi Fayrouz,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  And while I work at Blindside Networks (the company that provides hosting for BigBlueButton) and can't speak for Instructure, I can answer your question.

> Can a new student added to canvas listen to recorded conference prior to his entrance ??

Unfortunately not.  There is an access control list for every conference (and its associated recordings), an only students where were invited at the time the conference was created would be able to see the associated recordings.

There are a few more options in the Premium Tier hosting for Canvas Conferences (which has permanent recordings) in that you can share the recording links with other students.  (Reach out to your Canvas Rep for more details if you want to upgrade).

Sorry I couldn't give you a positive answer on this one.  The access control list is there to ensure only the students who could have joined the conference can see the associated recordings.  The long-term solution would be to add an option where you could modify a recording an make it public to all students in the class.

Others have asked for a similar capability, and while I can't make any promises for 2019, it's definitely one of the items for consideration as we work on enhancing Canvas Conferences interface.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

(I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks)

View solution in original post