cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danfdonaldson
Community Member

copying a course between time zones

I'm designing a course in the Eastern Time Zone. The course will be run in different time zones, creating a copy each time.

How do I copy a course so that if it begins at September 11, 12AM in the original, then if i want to set it up to run in Bangkok on February 10, 12AM, the times of the assignments are correct in the new timezone?

Tags (2)
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @danfdonaldson  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.

Although I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), I don't *think* there is a correlation between copied content of a course and time zones.  To me, those are to separate things.  In order to copy course content from one course to another, I would direct your attention to this Guide: How do I copy content from another Canvas course?  Once you have successfully copied/imported course content from one course to another, you would then go into your course "Settings" screen where you could then set your time zone for the specific course and even set the course start/end dates and times.  See  How do I set a time zone for a course? and https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12907-415257088 for additional details (keeping in mind the information provided in those blue boxes).

I hope this helps, Daniel.  Please let us know if there are other questions about this.

Hi Chris,

I may try another run, where I create a course and then import material into it. In the meantime, though, I've come to the conclusion that Canvas doesn't have a mechanism to correlate original times of assignments and so on. Instead, an assignment set for 10 AM in the original course in the Eastern Timezone will appear using the same GMT time in the copy. So an assignment due at 10 AM in Toronto would be due at 9PM in Phnom Penh. 

The work around, that I will use, is to simply get each student to set their timezone in settings to the Eastern Timezone. 

It seems like a condition that wouldn't come up for most people often – but often enough that a course built on the East Coast would be affected on the West Coast. Does this not happen? I have a course of 12 weeks duration, with 4 units every day. Manual adjustment is not a worthwhile possibility.

Hi  @danfdonaldson 

I don't think I would go that route, because it could be terribly confusing to your students. What you want is for your students to submit by some due date/time in your home time zone. If their course are set for their home time zone, then if they are submitting on time based on their time zone, they are meeting your deadline in your home time zone.

Kelley

Hi Kelley

To be clear, the only students taking the course would all be together in our Cambodian facility, where the instructors would also be. So it's an in person course, using a cloud based LMS, not a remote course where people are separate and in different time zones. I had this problem before, and the timezone trick was the fix that worked, but it might have been much harder if we had not had the ability to look at each student's screen and confirm the changes.

But ideally I agree with you, it could be a poor solution under other circumstances. To me, this just suggests that it is something that Instructure needs to look at. 

The main reason that I have specific times associated with assignments is to prevent students moving ahead on units, while others are still completing them. The biggest problems we have in our courses have come when you have a group of students out of sync with each other. The available at feature is great – the deadline is not important....

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @danfdonaldson ‌, we haven't heard from you in a while, and are curious to know if you're continuing to manage the time zone issue as you described in your most recent comment, or if you've adopted a different approach. For now, we've marked this question as Assumed Answered, but the conversation can continue regardless.