cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arl13
Community Member

develop master course and then translate to course

Jump to solution

I did not want to develop course without knowing what I was doing, so was encouraged to use master course option to experiment with building. Assumed (was kind of promised, actually) that it would just be easy to "export" all that work (like weeks and weeks of work) into the course I need to make operational very shortly. I put hours and hours into building modules that I just assumed I'd be able to "export" easily, but don't seem to see how to do so. Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

You were well advised,  @arl13 ! Especially when you are a building a course for the first time, it's best to do the work in a master course first, and then import some or all of that content into your "live" course.

And, you'll be happy to know that importing (or copying) course content from one course to another--or exporting your content to an .imscc file that you can then import into the live course--is indeed a simple matter.

Starting from the (currently empty) live course shell, you can import the content from the master using these instructions:

What is the Course Import Tool?

How do I import content from another Canvas course?

Some Canvas users like to export the content into an .imscc file that they save on their local machine. They can then use that content file to complete the course import. You'll find instructions for exporting content here: How do I export a Canvas course?

If you still have questions, just post a follow-up reply!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

You were well advised,  @arl13 ! Especially when you are a building a course for the first time, it's best to do the work in a master course first, and then import some or all of that content into your "live" course.

And, you'll be happy to know that importing (or copying) course content from one course to another--or exporting your content to an .imscc file that you can then import into the live course--is indeed a simple matter.

Starting from the (currently empty) live course shell, you can import the content from the master using these instructions:

What is the Course Import Tool?

How do I import content from another Canvas course?

Some Canvas users like to export the content into an .imscc file that they save on their local machine. They can then use that content file to complete the course import. You'll find instructions for exporting content here: How do I export a Canvas course?

If you still have questions, just post a follow-up reply!

View solution in original post

arl13
Community Member

Thank you so much, Stefanie. I had "export" in my mind, and all it took was thinking "import" -- and going to the always-everything-is-there-somewhere "Settings" tab instead! Thanks again!

You're welcome,  @arl13 , and I'm glad I was able to help. Smiley Happy

I have what I think is a related question. I have been trying out some Page formats in a test course and then copying them into my active course. I would like to be able to develop a "template" page in the test course and then copy it multiple times into my active course, each time re-naming and modifying it. That way I keep some of the key elements but can update other aspects. However, when I do this more than once, the new import seems to erase the previously imported page (even though I have re-named and modified the content). Is there any way around this?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mjbergst ​, the key here is to copy the template page into your active course and then re-copy it back into your the same course. So instead of copying it again from your test course, copy it from your active course back into your active course. You'll get an warning icon when you select to import content into the same course, but just ignore it and make sure to check the box to "select specific content." This is the best way I know of to duplicate content in Canvas.

mjbergst
Community Member

Thank You! This seems to have done the trick.

agarman
Community Member

What I am looking for is not just copying a course, but similar to (copy-special in excel). So I have a teacher teaching 3 classes and has created a Master course. She wants to find a way that if she makes an edit in the master (say test bank questions edit) that change to then appear in all 3 courses.

Is this possible?

Arifa

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Unfortunately no, this isn't currently possible. I've heard it might be coming, but no idea of when or the details.