cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitney_clay
Community Contributor

discussion notifications - text for one, email for others

Jump to solution

Is there a way to subscribe to one discussion in my course (a Q&A) to get SMS/text notifications and then subscribe to other discussions to get email notifications?

The deal is that I want to know about problems right away (like when a test isn't visible or directions are confusing), but that's the only discussion I want text notifications for.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@whitney_clay ​...

Notification preferences for discussion posts are all controlled via your "Notifications" screen in your Canvas profile: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?  So you wouldn't be able to get some notifications via text while others you get via e-mail.  There are only two Discussions notifications you can modify in your profile: Discussion and Discussion Post.  The first is for "New discussion topic in your course", and the second is for "New discussion post in a topic you're subscribed to".  However, in reviewing your question, I'm not sure this will completely do what you're looking to accomplish.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@whitney_clay ​...

Notification preferences for discussion posts are all controlled via your "Notifications" screen in your Canvas profile: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?  So you wouldn't be able to get some notifications via text while others you get via e-mail.  There are only two Discussions notifications you can modify in your profile: Discussion and Discussion Post.  The first is for "New discussion topic in your course", and the second is for "New discussion post in a topic you're subscribed to".  However, in reviewing your question, I'm not sure this will completely do what you're looking to accomplish.

View solution in original post

lhodges004
Community Member

Did you get an answer to your questions?

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

Thank you for your reply, Gonzo (I mean Chris). (I love Gonzo!)

I agree that it looks like I cannot set it to do what I want with discussions. Can you think of any other way I could accomplish this same thing, which is to have a Q&A place where students can ask questions or report problems about the class, and I can set that place to notify me by text? This is the one thing that I want to be able to reply to right away, every day.

If not, I may just set my notifications to text me with new discussion posts and then subscribe ONLY to that one Q&A discussion. That will be a bummer, though, because I usually subscribe to the current week’s discussion so I'm up to date with what’s going on.

Whitney

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

Hi Laree,

Yes, I received an answer. It looks like it can’t do what I want it to.

Whitney

Hi  @whitney_clay ​...

I can't think of anything else at the moment that could accomplish what you're wanting to do...sorry.  I think your solution may be the best at this time.

Chris

p.s. I also switch out my avatar for various Disney characters or Dilbert (from the comics)

whitney_clay
Community Contributor

OK, thanks.

brian_holt
Community Participant

How is it that all discussions, for all courses, are governed by one notification setting?  Perhaps I want instant notifications for one type of discussion, but not for another.  Or in one course I need a daily digest, while in another a weekly. 

Am I correct that canvas forces the same notification setting on all discussions? 

Hi  @brian_holt ...

All notifications for discussions are controlled in via your Canvas profile.  It's sort of like an all or nothing setting...as far as courses are concerned.  So, if you choose to receive notifications immediately for discussion posts, it will be applied for all courses...not specific ones.  The same holds true if you were to receive weekly discussion notifications...it would be for all courses and not for specific ones.  Again, you'd want to check out the link that I provided earlier this year in this thread.  Of course, you can also subscribe to discussion topics, too.  Check out How do I subscribe to a discussion as an instructor? or How do I subscribe to a discussion as a student? 

I did find this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7898" modifiedtitle="true" title="Notifications for Individual..., but it's been moved to Cold Storage because it didn't get many votes.  Perhaps if you re-submitted a similar Feature Idea here in the Community, it might get some more, new votes.  You never know...priorities change for people as time goes by, so something that may not have been that important to someone then may have more importance now.  Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1330-how-do-i-create-a-new-feature-idea for more information.

I hope this has been helpful to you, Brian.